Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trust of a Child

I have two little boys, they both possess very different personalities. My oldest son is more reserved and thinks about things before he does them. He is more like his father. My youngest son has more of my personality. There is no thought of what he is doing, he just does it. When I ask my oldest son to jump in my arms, he looks around then looks at me and knows that I will catch him. My youngest son does not even wait for me to get ready, he just jumps. I look at them and their faith in me and I know that I am the one who will guide them into their faith with God.

Mark 10:13-16, "One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so He could touch them and bless them, but the disciples told them not to bother Him. But when Jesus saw what was happening, He was very displeased with His disciples. He said to them, 'Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you, anyone who doesn't have their kind of faith will never get into the Kingdom of God.' Then He took the children into His arms and placed His hands on their heads and blessed them."

When I look at my children, my faith is tested. No matter what is happening, my faith is tested! In disciplining them, my faith is tested. In teaching them, my faith is tested. In playing with them; in loving on them; in just being in the same house with them, my faith is tested. In watching their faith in me, my faith is tested. In watching their love of God and their belief in Him, my faith is tested.

Jesus loves the children; there is no real doubt in their hearts about Him. They believe Him and they know that He loves them. When I tell my boys to jump into my arms, they know that I will catch them. They know that I want the best for them. They know this and yet I make mistakes. They know this and yet they see me when I fail, but they still believe in me. My youngest son will walk around and when he sees a cross or a church, he will say out of no where, "I love God." He believe and yet he has never seen God. He trusts in God like He trusts in me, yet I will fail him and God never will. My children test my faith. Do I have faith in Jesus like my children have faith in me? If God says, "jump," do I? When God disciplines me, do I know that He loves me and is trying to keep me from more harm? Do I feel secure and safe, because I know He is right here with me, where ever I am? Do I have faith like my children?

There is so much to this one little story. Jesus is calling us to have faith like little children. He wants us to trust Him, to believe in Him. He wants us to feel secure and for us to know that He loves us and wants the best for us. He is also calling us to a higher standard so that we do not hinder the children's faith. How I treat my children; how I react to certain things; how I show my faith, these are all ways that I can either strengthen their faith or harm them. He wants the best for us and for our children. He wants me to trust Him like my children trust. I should not ever be afraid of taking a step with God. Even if I miscalculate my jump, He will catch me. My children believe in me and they know that I am not perfect, how much more should I trust in my God, who is perfect.

No comments: