Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Live Project

Acts 8:12, "But now the people believed Philip’s message of Good News concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ. As a result, many men and women were baptized."

This is a very difficult time to be doing anything publicly in the "name of Jesus Christ."  Why?  Why do we somehow seem "ashamed" to say His name?  Why do I hide when others ask me about what I am doing when I am preparing for a big event in "the name of Christ?"  To some I may seem fake, for I am cautious about my God's name.  I am reluctant to apply "Christianity" to the answer of, "What are you involved with?"  Am I a coward?  Am I trying to be deceptive?  Am I ashamed of my God?

I once heard Ravi Zacharias talking about this exact situation.   He said, "When others ask me what I do for a living I try everything in my power to avoid telling them I am a preacher." (This is not verbatim, but this is from memory only, so go with me on this;) "There is nothing that will kill a conversation faster than letting them know that you come in the name of Jesus."

That is it.... I am Not afraid of who my God is.  I am So Proud of who He is.  However, I am very embarrassed about how He has often been portrayed to others and this is why I feel the way I do.  I want them to see how wonderful He is before they make their preconceived judgments based upon how someone else has displayed Him to them. 

Last night my college kids did a Very Big thing.  We went onto our University's campus and brought a glimpse of our God to their peers.  My kids did amazingly.  I am so proud of them!  This was no walk in the park.  It took many hours of hard work to get everything done.  They spent every week through the summer practicing for this event.  Songs were written and time building our team was crucial.  We all were attacked in some form, from within the group itself and from outside.  But, they held strong and in the end pulled it off.  My goal was to bring who we are as a group to the college, so that when they hear we are meeting they will want to come and see what we are really doing.  I want others to see that it is not just a history lesson and being told how bad we all are.  We are a group of people who are learning how to live out this life.  We are learning to live so that we truly live free.  We are developing who we are, trying to live with integrity, working trough our problems, and realizing how truly valuable we are as people.  Gaining strength in who Christ sees in us is everything.  If we think He looks upon us as failures, "sinners", then how does this boost our self worth and build our self respect?

Through the years, I have learned more about the Cross of Christ.  Every bit of what I have been learning not only gives me value, but this discovery of who He is has truly redeemed me from within my own heart.  I no longer have to hide behind a wall built upon false jokes and false security that seems to guard my heart from the hurt within.  I have discovered the freedom of living with Him and my goal is to share that freedom with others, but first I need them to hear.  I need to understand that they too have been hurt.  I need to understand that if I go brazenly into their territory and shout out  His name, His love is not going to be heard.  I need others who are with me in this journey to see my heart.  I need them to give me respect and even if they do not understand my methods I need them to respectfully submit to my authority as the leader.  My goal is my God.  My vision is His Cross.  My ways are patient and they are tender toward those I can see.  For I see a generation who does not know my God.  I see a generation that needs some time.  I see a generation in need.  How am I going to reach them, if they do not stay around long enough to hear?

Last night we did many things that were great.  We also did things that I would change if we ever have the chance to do another college event, but we are "The Live Project" and this is what we are all about.  We are learning as we are going and growing as we are living.  Our message is the Good News about how valuable we really are.  Our message is the Good News on learning to live out this life.  I am So Proud of my kids.  You did it!  The event happened and others came to see what we were all about, and still others came to give each one of you their full support.  Congratulations Team!  Each time we do a new thing we learn more about this life and we gain more strength to endure the hard work in order to accomplish our goals.  What is our goal?

Our first goal should always be our own relationship with our King.  What is He trying to teach me?  What is He saying to my own heart?  The next big goal is learning to represent His love to a people who have never before seen a love like His.  Everywhere we go in this life we are showing people something.  The only thing He really ever asked us to show is His love...

I want to thank everyone!  Thank you for the time you spent away from your families.  Thank you for coming beside these college students, so they can learn the value in their leadership.  Thank you for all of you who provided us with an amazing abundance of food.  Thank you to all of you who helped out during and after the event.  Thank you for coming and showing us how much you love us, just by being with us.  Thank you for those of you who came and saw a Very Small glimpse of our love of our God.  Please come around again, for I want to hear your voice as well.  Thank you... Thank you.... Thank You

1 comment:

Jenny said...

http://utmost.org/do-it-yourself-2/

In Oswald Chambers "My Utmost For His Highest" he talks about being disciplined. We cannot go into every situation and just "follow the feelings of the Holy Spirit." What I mean is this: So often we miss the Big Picture of a situation because we are going on our feelings at the moment. We can jeopardize the essence of the mission as a whole, just because we lost focus and went with our feelings in that moment.

As I walk out this journey of leading others in Christ, I can seem unaware of "Sin." I don't use "buzz" words like that, for so often you can say one little word, that other believers understand, but the person you are trying to reach can no longer hear you, just because you used that buzz word.

"Practical work for Christians is greatly overemphasized today, and the saints who are “bringing every thought [and project] into captivity” are criticized and told that they are not determined, and that they lack zeal for God or zeal for the souls of others. But true determination and zeal are found in obeying God, not in the inclination to serve Him that arises from our own undisciplined human nature." (OC)

I have a very Big Picture in mind. I have been criticized in the past for not addressing every part of the problem, but I can work slowly with someone until they can learn to hear. I can be patient and listen to their heart cries. I do not just see one little aspect of what is happening, but the whole person and what they are struggling with in the whole of their life.

I need others who are with me on this journey to see my heart. Do I love my God? If the answer you see is "yes" then please trust that I have His best in my plan. I realize that I can miss it at times... No one is perfect, not even me ;)