Thursday, December 4, 2008

Abigail

It is amazing what you can see about your life, after you have gone through the trials. How I should have been strong. I should have been relying on God to give me advise and the wisdom on how to deal with my ex-husband. I thought that I was being a good, obedient wife in how I treated him and how I talked about him with other people. I lied for him and I covered up his sin for him. In doing this he fell deeper into his wrongs and I enabled him to do it. I was not a helper; I was a traitor. I did help him alright. Right into the pits of Hell!

God gives us an example in the bible for just about any situation that we may find ourselves in. 1 Samuel 25 is a wonderful example for women on how to deal with a foolish husband. "Abigail, was a sensible and beautiful woman. But Nabal, a descendant of Caleb, was mean and dishonest in his dealing." Nabal returned good done unto him with evil and in return his entire household was about to be slaughtered by David. "One of Nabal's servants went to Abigail and told her...You'd better think fast, for there is going to be trouble for our master and his whole family. He's so ill-tempered that no one can even talk to him!" Abigail did what she knew was right. She did not consult with her husband for she knew he was evil. She saved her husband from death, even though he did not deserve it. She did not lie for him either. She told David, "I accept all blame in this matter, my lord. Please listen to what I have to say. I know Nabal is a wicked and ill-tempered man; please don't pay any attention to him. He is a fool, just as his name suggests. But I never saw the messengers you sent..."

Abigail did not lie for her husband, because everyone can see when a man is wrong anyway. She did not make excuses for him either. Nor did she slander him and talk about him behind his back, but she did what she knew was right in spite of him. When it was all over she did not hide it from her husband either. She waited for the appropriate time, then told him what she had done. Anyone who has ever been married to a man who is angry can relate to how she must have felt as she approached her husband with what she had done. She probably expected a full retort of everything that he could give her. But God protected her and honored her for her obedience to Him. I am sure that she had suffered so much pain before this by the hands of this man, but she endured and she obeyed God.

So many times we try to cover up sin, whether it is our own or someone else's. This was my first big mistake in my previous marriage. I lied for my husband, trying to help him look better. I should have called it for what it was. He was a liar, a cheat, lazy and wicked. I shouldn't have fought for him, but I should have fought for God. I do not know what would have happened if I had been the woman that I needed to be. I know that I would not have done the evil things that I did, and now have to live with. I know that I would not have the pain that my weakness caused. I have learned several things though; stay in the truth, no matter how ugly it is; do not slander those you love, but do not cover up their sins either; do what you know is right, no matter what price you may pay later. Live in the truth and love the Lord your God with all of your strength, with all of your life. In return, He will set you free! Look to the cross and see the punishment that He bore for you and everyone who seeks Him.

No comments: