Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Titus 2

Titus 2:3-5, "Teach the older women to live in a way that is appropriate for someone serving the Lord... They should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to take care of their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God."

This scripture is how the night began. We had 13 women in all; a very good mix of young and old. The lives varied from women who had only one young infant, to women who had grandchildren. One of which, had 23 grandchildren! What an awesome group of women. Once the night progressed, the questions started emerging. The questions ranged in how to raise young children, how to raise teenagers, and how to treat your husband. How absolutely awesome it was to hear the different suggestions from young and old. We brought together different life experiences, from how we were raised, to how the older women had raised their children. I cannot thank the women enough for being part of the night. Every woman had something to offer, whether it was in a question or an answer. Just their very presence was needed.

Ah, the desire of wisdom. Proverbs 8:1-9, "Listen as wisdom calls out! Hear as understanding raises her voice! ...I call to you, to all of you! I am raising my voice to all people. How naive you are! Let me give you common sense. O foolish ones, let me give you understanding. Listen to me! For I have excellent things to tell you. Everything I say is right, for I speak the truth and hate every kind of deception. My advise is wholesome and good. There is nothing crooked or twisted in it. My words are plain to anyone with understanding, clear to those who want to learn."

How often we miss out on wisdom! We miss out because we either think we have nothing to offer, or nothing to learn. How truly foolish this is! None of us have all of the right answers, but as long as we are seeking God, He can bring the right answers. Many times it is a combination of different things coming from different sources. I am so blessed that I was part of such an awesome night. I cannot thank all of you enough. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for being willing to open up and truly seek wisdom.

Ruth - In a time when choosing to stay with Naomi, it could have seemed like a death sentence. But Ruth could see that Naomi loved her God and desired Him, so she stayed and listed to her wiser older woman. Her decision to take from Naomi and learn from her, changed both of their lives. "God was at the center of their intimate communication. Ruth came to know the God of Israel through Naomi. The older woman allowed Ruth to see, hear, and feel all the joy and anguish of her relationship to God. How often do you feel that your thoughts and questions about God should be left out of a close relationship? How often do you share your unedited thoughts about God with your spouse or friends? Sharing openly about our relationship with God can bring depth and intimacy to our relationships with others."

Thank you, all of you!!

1 comment:

JanAl said...

I am very thankful for the woman God has placed all around me. Any good from God or form of Godliness that is in me, is because He has placed woman all around me to teach and mentor me. I have a long.......ways to go, but I am thankful for what He has taught me so far.
Oh Lord, I pray that You will give me ears to hear Your wisdom. And a heart to receive it.