Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Guessing Game

Fear- It is amazing how Satan can try and trap you with fear. He pulls this card when all other cards are spent. He gets you to look at what you cannot do and tries to convince you that you are the cause of failure, any failure, you see around you. He does this by getting you to look at yourself. This is where fear originates and this is where it is cared for. It grows here until you become the center for everything. Everywhere you go, you start to think others are thinking about you. That is when he has you. He has you in a trap and the bait is you putting your own thoughts about yourself into other peoples heads.

I used to do this with Jason. I wanted him to understand what I was feeling and thinking, without me telling him. I wanted him to enter into my world of "guessing thoughts". I have a very wise man. He has always refused. His constant reply has always been, "If I try and guess what is going on, I will be setting myself up for failure. I do not like to fail, so you just need to tell me what you are feeling, so we can deal with it and move forward." Even though I have said some pretty horrible things to him, he is not afraid to fail if I tell him. He knows that he does not stand a chance, if he tries to guess.

Stepping out and opening up is not easy. It puts you at a perceived disadvantage. I begin to put my own thoughts into others head and I start to become certain that I know what they are thinking. I place myself as a god in their lives. I do not realize that I am doing this, but what other explanation do I have for such power. All focus is taken off of Christ and placed upon myself.

"Then Peter called to him, 'Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.' 'Yes, come,' Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. 'Save me, Lord!' he shouted." (Matthew 14:22)

Peter was willing to get out of the boat. His focus was on Christ. It was when he diverted his eyes away from Jesus that he began to panic. He took his attention away from the only one who could save him and started focusing on the problems around him. This is when fear overwhelmed him. He started looking at what he knew was impossible and he began to sink.

This is what happens to me. I take my eyes off of my God and I place them upon myself. This is a huge mistake. I cannot do it. I am very aware of my limitations. It is when I take my eyes off of Him and start focusing on me, that is when I find myself in a full blown "panic attack." My God, He can anything! If I can keep my focus on Him and what He has already done with my life, I will not look at my limitations and loose myself in my self-doubt. I do not doubt my God. I doubt myself. It is when my focus gets distorted that I begin to live in fear. My lesson is, breathe and trust that the Lord is good. Keep your focus on Him. He is the mighty Creator. He is the Savior of the world and He can do anything. Through Him, so can all of us who call upon His name. We are the courageous. We are the chosen ones. We are the ones who can walk on water, if keep our attention turned toward Him.

If you click on the title "Guessing Game" it will take you to Homespun Legacy. These are the things that God has done. Not me. But if I take my focus off of Him.... This is what Satan is trying to destroy. Thank you Don and Shelly! More than you know.

No comments: