Friday, April 10, 2009

My Rock

2 Samuel 22, "The LORD is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Savior; my God is my Rock, in whom I find protection. He is my Shield, the Strength of my salvation, and my Stronghold, my High Tower, my Savior, the One who Saves me from violence. I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, for He saves me from my enemies. The waves of death surrounded me; the floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped it ropes around me; death itself stared me in the face. But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I called to my God for help. He heard me from His sanctuary; my cry reached His ears... He reached down from heaven and rescued me; He drew me out of deep waters. He delivered me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me and were too strong for me. They attacked me at a moment when I was weakest, but the LORD upheld me. He led me to a place of safety; He rescued me because He delights in me... The LORD lives! Blessed be my Rock!"

If you have ever been surrounded by death, then you can understand this verse. Sin can so overwhelm you that you truly do not know if you will be able to breath. Often we tend to wait until we reach our breaking point, then we cry out for His help. In His mercy He is always there. We can turn from Him, but He is always there to rescue us when we cry to Him. There are however, warnings that we need to be aware of. Hebrews 10:26, "Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received a full knowledge of the truth, there is no other sacrifice that will cover these sins."

I have been to this point in my life. I believe that I could have died in the pit that I was in. He is the one who opened my eyes. He was the one that was yelling to me and warning me that if I did not take His help, I would not have made it. I was the one that had to finally allow Him to help me. My eyes were opened to the full knowledge of this truth, but if I had refused, I do not know what would have happened with my life. What I do know is what has happened since I did allow Him to help me. Why take that chance? Why not accept His gracious help? I hear many say that if you turn from Him, then you never really were His to begin with. I cannot agree with this. I do not know and I do not have all of the answers; what I do know is that I was dead, but now I am alive. I was dead in spirit because of life choices, and I was close to physical death because of situations that I placed myself in. I also know that I was saved. I struggled with this for many years. It has been recently that I finally understood my salvation.

It does not say that if you sin you will have nothing but His terrible judgment to look forward to, for we have all fallen short and sin, every day. It does say that if "deliberately continue sinning, there is no other sacrifice that will cover these sins." It is not really that easy to see. It is not really that easy to understand. I was still believing in Christ when He took me out of my previous life. I am so thankful that I listened to Him and allowed Him to lead me to a place of safety. I am so thankful that we serve such a patient God. His choice is that non should perish, but that all would worship Him.

Hebrews 10:16-18, "I will put My laws in their hearts so they will understand them, and I will write them on their minds so that they will obey them. I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds. Now when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices." He paid the price for everything that I have ever done. "For this, O LORD, I will praise You among the nations; I will sing joyfully to Your name." 2 Sam 22:50

1 comment:

JanAl said...

:] Oh Jenny! I know that I start these conversations with you, and I give you scripture verses, and I agree to "respectfully disagree", and I love our friendship, and you know that I have shared with you that I use to think this way, so I know where you are coming from.

This is my problem, anytime we give our self credit for our salvation, we are taking away from Christ's sacrifice on the cross, "you + the cross", "your works + the cross" , "your choice + the cross", "anything + the cross"...
takes from God's Sovereignty.

I believe with all my heart that God is in control, and that we should not give ourselves credit for any of it. Look at your first paragraph......"the One who Saves me", "He saves me", "He heard", "He reached down from heaven and rescued me", " He drew me out", "He delivered me", "He led me", "He rescued me", "He delights in me".
(3rd paragraph)"He is the one who opened my eyes", "He was the one that was yelling to me and warning me", "I would not have made it", "My eyes were opened",

Ok, now the difference between your 1st paragraph is that it is from scripture, it is ALL about Him, but look in your 3rd paragraph, look at all of the "I's".

Ok, now I want to talk about the Hebrews 10:26 verse.....
We as Christians, will sin everyday, the rest of our lives, because we are born sinners, (you also stated that.)

(1st)Hebrews 10:26 is a warning against apostasy, a deliberate sin. Apostasy is defined as sinning deliberately AFTER receiving THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH. Like Judas, the person has heard the gospel. He knows the way of salvation; he has even pretended to receive it; but then he denies the truth. For this person, THERE NO LONGER REMAINS A SACRIFICE FOR SINS. He has decisively and conclusively rejected the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ. Therefore God has no other way of salvation to offer to him. All sin is willful, but the author here speaks of apostasy as a willful sin of extra-ordinary seriousness.

(2nd), How much sin is too much? How far can we push God? How long can we go on, before God decides to deny me? There is only one sin that is unpardonable....

Mathew 12:30-32
30"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters.
31"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall NOT be forgiven.
32"Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall NOT be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

This also came to my mind.......
(The Angel and Balaam)

Numbers 22:22-34
22But God was angry because he was going, and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way as an adversary against him. Now he was riding on his donkey and his two servants were with him.
23When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way with his drawn sword in his hand, the donkey turned off from the way and went into the field; but Balaam struck the donkey to turn her back into the way.
24Then the angel of the LORD stood in a narrow path of the vineyards, with a wall on this side and a wall on that side.
25When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she pressed herself to the wall and pressed Balaam's foot against the wall, so he struck her again.
26The angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place where there was no way to turn to the right hand or the left.
27When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam; so Balaam was angry and struck the donkey with his stick.
28And the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?"
29Then Balaam said to the donkey, "Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now."
30The donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?" And he said, "No."
31Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way with his drawn sword in his hand; and he bowed all the way to the ground.
32The angel of the LORD said to him, "Why have you struck your donkey these three times? Behold, I have come out as an adversary, because your way was contrary to me.
33"But the donkey saw me and turned aside from me these three times. If she had not turned aside from me, I would surely have killed you just now, and let her live."
34Balaam said to the angel of the LORD, "I have sinned, for I did not know that you were standing in the way against me. Now then, if it is displeasing to you, I will turn back."

***This is why....
v. 22~The Angel(preincarnate Christ) was an adversary, just like Christ is for us.
v.23-26~Angel (God willed) stopped him in his tracks.
v.29-30~Reminds me of those, like us, that mocked Christ, spit on Him, and wanted to crucify Him.

(these next verses are basically the gospel,which I think it is awesome at how the gospel is all over the old testament,
look at the order)...
v.31~The Lord opened the eyes.
v.32~We were against Him.
v.33~Christ saved us from our sin.
v.34~He realized he is a sinner, and was ready to turn from his ways.

This IS the longest comment I have ever left! And crazy enough, I have one more thing to share.....

Luke 10:20-22
20"Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven."
21At that very time He rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit, and said, "I praise You, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight.
22"All things have been handed over to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."

v.20~Salvation is recorded
(no mention of erasers) :].
v.21~Praises the Father and notes that He hides Himself from some, and reveals Himself to others (He is in control)
v.22~The Son has the power to reveal the Father to us.

Now Jenny, remember when you told me that you are not easily offended! ;]
And from the depths of my heart, this comment is by no means an attack, but for me , a conviction.
I love you, and I praise God that I can call you sister!