Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Right One. Marriages

Most married couples are together because there was a physical attraction that brought them together in the first place. When most of us start dating, sexual desires are on the top of the dating criteria. With this being the most important facet of our relationships, we never really get to know the other person. We are blinded by our lust, but then the marriage vows are spoken and we realize this is supposed to be forever. The blinders are removed and the hard reality of our decision faces us. We discover that we really have nothing solid to hold on to. We have a tendency to go our separate ways and develop our own goals in this life, that have nothing to do with our spouse. Then we are either astounded, or anticipate it when the marriage vows are broken. Our society does not expect to find that right person, for we have forgotten what makes a person "the right one" to begin with.

In Acts 19, the first introduction of Aquila and Priscilla are made. There is not a ton of information about them, but what is obvious, is that they are never mentioned alone. They are always together. They have common goals and they know how to work together as a team. They have fostered an environment in their home that allows their individual strengths to grow. Their home is a place where others come and find refuge and a security, they may not find if they had chosen to stay somewhere else. Their hearts for God, that is what they truly had in common. They worked together in business, but the key is they worked together for God.

I have been married two times, for two very different reasons. My first marriage, was what I will call, typical. I say this because we were typical. We were young and based our entire relationship on our passions. Our sexual relationship had no boundaries and we were only together for our next rush. We had a blast together. The parties, the bars, the sexual pleasures, they were our play ground. But, after the marriage vows were spoken, the blinders were removed. The only thing we had to hold on to was the next high, and that just about destroyed us both. You cannot base a relationship on partying, for after the party there is life looking you right in the eyes.

My next relationship was different. I truly felt God had put Jason in my life. I did not however, like this fact. There was nothing wrong with Jason, trust me, I tried to find that one. He just was not my "type." But I had told God that I would walk through whatever door He opened, and Jason was that next door. I had made many bad decisions on my own. I knew I could not trust myself. So we got married, for God never closed that door no matter how I begged Him. We were both still learning and we made many mistakes, but our common goal was the same. We both really wanted to do what God wanted us to do. Other than that, we really had nothing else in common. Our likes, our interests, our past experiences were completely different. Honestly, we had nothing in common, except our desire to please God! This is all it takes. I truly believe we have an Aquila and Priscilla house. God is the common interest, and our love for Him has made our marriage a place of refuge. It is not about the party. It is all about life!

The heart aches I could have avoided, if I had just learned earlier in my young life, what is really valuable. It is not about the next party. It is not about the next rush or the next date. It is about life. What kind of life are you building? What you do while you are young, you will have to some day face. You can only live with the blinders on for so long. One day you will have to take them off and look truthfully at what you have done with your life. One day you will reap what you have sown. No one can avoid it and run forever. So if you are dating, are you developing the character and experiences you desire in a marriage? If you are married, are you searching for something that will make your marriage a good one? There is only one thing you need. And that one thing is God. If you can discover who Christ is, and live as a true Christ follower, that is all you will ever need. How would Christ treat that person? What would He do in this situation? Discover that, and you will discover the key to a truly wonderful life.

No comments: