Saturday, April 2, 2011

Celebrating the Wrath of God

"Celebrating the Wrath of God," I have just finished reading this book. If you know me, this may surprise you. For you know, I don't read books! I am serious. This is the third book I have read in the last ten years. I don't have the time, but when I do, you must know it is a GOOD one. One of my brothers gave me this book when I was in Texas to see one of my friends for the last time. She died just a couple of days ago. This was my last chance to see her and I knew it. His giving me this book really had nothing to do with why I was in Texas, but it had everything to do with God's timing.

As I was struggling with how I saw her laying in her bed and how good she was, I had many questions. How? Why? But she loved God! How was this living in God's blessing? Isn't He supposed to protect His children? Aren't we supposed to be set apart? Aren't others supposed to see His blessings in us? Isn't that how others are drawn to Him by watching our lives, our blessings? He is supposed to heal us right? Why... Why.... Why? As I was going through the process of watching her die, these were just some of my questions, and at the same time I was reading this book.

For the days that I was with her, I could not read. I could not read until I returned home, for it is hard stuff. The first part of the book is the suffering and in the moment of watching my dear friend, I could not do it. So when I got home and I could focus a little better, I started to read. I laid aside my bible in the early morning, and took up this book. In just a couple of days I was through. I will not talk about what I learned, I am still processing it. I will say that we have a mighty God and I love Him!

One of my favorite parts of the book is a discussion between God and Job. This I will share....

Job: "The way You treated me just lately made it difficult at times to trust in You."

God: "That is interesting, the way you treated Me earlier made it easy for Me to trust in you."

"....And He believes in you. Yes, you who sit nursing your breaking heart that's filled with questions and niggling doubts. You whose pain and anger sometimes spills over into speech that isn't right. You who, because your trouble has been around for years and your prayers for ease have gone unfulfilled, have emotionally given up (and yet here you are reading this)- He believes in you, too."

This is all that I will share. Get the book. Read the book. Then, if you want, we can visit. If you have questions about God's love, all because of the pain you see around you; If you struggle with unanswered questions; If you just cannot see how love and pain can work together, this book is for you. Please read this book......

"To my sweet Daun,
How your life is such a wonderful blessing for me. Thank you for living in love with your God. Thank you for helping me when I did not know I needed your help. Thank you for everything. How I rejoice with you in your new adventure. How I will miss you and your bossy, nosey love....
I love you. Part of your life, saved my life!"

No comments: