Monday, May 13, 2013

New Birth or Rebirth?

The house is still.  What do I hear? The tic of the clock.  A bird is beginning to wake.  The house stretches and quakes as the earth is warming.  The coffee maker just sighed.  A dove is calling.  My breath seems loud against the stillness.  What do I see?  My chair stuffed full of pillows around me.  An afghan blanket that was woven for me when my first son was born, covers my legs.  My coffee is snug between two of my pillows.  My always blooming plants are stretching toward the sun. The window that protects me from the cold outside is big right next to my sitting area.  The shadows are no longer shadows, but trees and houses coming into view as the light is peaking over the horizon.  A small rabbitt moves steadily along the curb, going toward his hiding place.  The day is approaching.  Am I in a play?  Is this my stage?  Is the dawn the opening of the curtain?  Who is behind the curtain, backstage?

In New Birth or Rebirth, by Ravi Zacharias, this is one of the main topics, along with many others.  Have you ever been in a play?  Opening night is a really big night.  Your heart is pounding, your mind is racing. "What if I forget?"  "Who is here?"  So you peak around one of the curtains trying to get a glimpse of the audience.  There are many things that should be asked as we enter the play; For the actors:  What is my message?  What are others going to do with their lives after they are impacted with my role?  For the director/writer: What am I really trying to say?  How has this changed the mind of my crew as they have learned my words?  For the audience: What are we seeking as we seek our entertainment?  How is this play going to affect me when I leave?  Is it going to become my reality?  So many more questions.... In this great conversation Krishna and Jesus talk about their similarities and their differences.  Just a glimpse...

Krishna: Because I believe all of life is a leela-a play, a drama.  The universe is simply a cosmic puppet theater for the gods.  We are simply actors on a stage.  Roles and duties are all divinely assigned and beyond human control.  Backstage there is always a different script.  And I know there's an audience.  There's always an audience at a play.
Jesus: We may disagree on the idea of a puppet show, Krishna- there is always a choice, a will, a decision.  Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.
But the subject of a man listening, I would agree-when man seeks, he finds, and when he knocks, the door is opened to him.  So lets continue our discussion, for I too want to talk about he nature of who you and I are and what we teach.  That is why we are talking today, you and me, for the sake of the man whose ear is pinned to the curtain.  His soul is struggling.  He is desperate for the truth, Krishna..  Let's speak of these things for his sake, not for the sake of argument between you and me.
Krishna:  Agreed.  There is no need for you and me to argue.  You and I are complete in ourselves...

As the great conversion between Krishna and Jesus continues throughout the book, my mind and heart continually returns to the play.  No we are not puppets in a drama for the gods to be entertained.   But we are being watched and the world is our audience.  As I try and sift through the different things that I am continually hearing, things that are good and right, I cannot get lost in the closeness of them.  "Truth is powerful and truths that are almost truths are deadly and seductive.... Just because two things have one thing in common doesn't mean they have everything in common.  The heart of humanity and the provision of God are the two central points we must understand."

Are we willing to ask the hard questions?  Do we really want the answers?  Is this life reality, or are we just part of a cosmic play?  Are others watching you and learning from you on how they are going to live out their life?  What path are you directing them toward?

Jesus: Truth will always divide, Krishna.... A single minute difference in the ecology of the world and you will end up with death.  If you believe one lie, you are often led down the path of many lies... That's the difference between a drama and reality.  Reality cannot be wiped out by a whim.  Look at that truck.... and at its shadow on the sidewalk.  Now tell me this; would you rather be run over by the truck or by its shadow?... Is the shadow real or imaginary?... because the truck momentarily blocks out the sun, which creates the shadow.  You don't judge by the shadow; you judge by the light.
That's the story of the gospel.  When I died on the cross for you and for every person born onto this earth, the truck of the judgement and penalty of the law went over me so that only the shadow of death would pass over you.  You still have to face the pain of death, but I have paid the price.  It was I who was crucified, but my disciples are still troubled and heartbroken by the shadow of death.

And the story continues..... What is your understanding?  What part are you playing?  Who is your audience?.....

No comments: