Friday, January 30, 2009

Girls Retreat

Tonight I am leaving with a friend, taking a group of teen girls on a retreat for two nights. I was asked to speak with these girls and give them my testimony. If I were their parents I would have some concerns; one of which, what is she going to tell my daughter? I am going to drive it home, that their parents faith will not save them. Here is a little history of my own...

I was raised in a Christian home. We were at church every time the doors were open: Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. We had people coming into our home after church and we were surrounded by families trying their best to raise their children in "church". I graduated high school from a private Christan school. After high school I went into a mission program, where I studied the bible every day for one year. At the end of one year I was supposed to go to the mission field, but some things happened and I did not end up going. After that I attended a private Christian University, where I got my degree in Elementary Education. All of this did not save me. I was well educated. I grew up in the "right" home. None of this mattered. I was not living for Christ.

In Jn 13:2, 27, 30
"The Devil had already enticed Judas to carry out his plan to betray Jesus... As soon as Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into him... So Judas left at once, going out into the night."
I was Judas. I knew Jesus I grew up with him and learned from him. I allowed Satan to entice me and use me for his evil plan. I took the sin of the flesh; I ate it and allowed Satan to enter into me. Then I turned into the night to betray Jesus with my words and my body.


Gal 6:7-15
"Don't be misled. Remember that you can’t ignore God and get away with it. You will always reap what you sow! Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful desires will harvest the consequences of decay and death.
But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time... What counts is whether we really have been changed into new and different people…They are the new people of God."

I desperately want these young girls to see that it does not matter that they know "who" Christ is, if they do not turn their lives over to Him. They have to make a personal choice. It does not matter what their parents believe, it is them, personally, that matters. It is personal between us as individuals and Christ. I would rather share my life with these young girls and have them see the consequences of sin through me, so they do not have to reap the sorrow that sin harvests.

So parents, this is what I am going to be discussing with your girls. I want you to know, so that you can help them know the consequences of death outside of Christ. Their parents faith will not save them. They have to have a personal faith. I hope that I can help them to find this, so that the sorrows of this world will not overcome them.

I also want them to know that even if they do stray, they can always come home. There are three good points in the parable of the periodical son; sick of home, home sick and home. Even if they think they have spent the last of their inheritance, God is their father and He will always be watching for them to come back to Him.

2 comments:

JanAl said...

Praying for the hearts of these young girls. You have a powerful testimony, and one that affects many.
And something the parents need to consider is that they are going to learn "the evils" of this world from friends, tv, internet, teachers, it is everywhere you turn, and it is only getting worse. I am shocked at what my 3rd grader comes homes and shares with me. And I also remember the lies I learned from my friends.
Praise God that He can use your past to glorify Him, Who is Worthy!

Kati said...

God bless you as you give of your time for these girls.