Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lovers

My husband is my lover. When I read Song of Songs, I do not think of someone else; I do not regret the thought of my lover; I get excited about my marriage. (6:3), "I am my lover's, and my lover is mine." God created marriage, not just for two people living together raising children, but to be physically enjoyable for both. How I pray, my husband will always delight in me and I in him.

Young woman: "Kiss me again and again, for your love is sweeter than wine. How fragrant your cologne, and how pleasing your name... The king is lying on his couch, enchanted by the fragrance of my perfume. My lover is like a sachet of myrrh lying between my breasts...He brings me to the banquet hall, so everyone can see how much he loves me... His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me... I am my lover's, and my lover is mine... I am my lovers, the one he desires. Come, my love... Quick! Catch all the little foxes before they ruin the vineyard of your love,... Place me like a seal over your heart, or like a seal on your arm. For love is as strong as death, and its jealousy is as enduring as the grave. Love flashes like fire, the brightest kind of flame. Promise me, O women of Jerusalem...Not to awaken love until the time is right... I am chaste, and I am now full breasted. And my lover is content with me."

Young Man: "Yes, compared to other women, my beloved is like a lily among thorns... Let me see you; let me hear your voice. For your voice is pleasant, and you are lovely... You have ravished my heart, my treasure, my bride... How sweet is your love, my treasure, my bride! How much better it is than wine! Your perfume is more fragrant than the richest of spices. Your lips, my bride, are as sweet as honey. Yes, honey and cream are under your tongue. ...You are like a private garden, my treasure, my bride! ...You are a garden fountain, a well of living water, as refreshing as the streams... Look away, for your eyes overcome me! There may be (hundreds of other women). But I would still choose my dove, my perfect one... The young women are delighted when they see her... Oh, how delightful you are, my beloved; how pleasant for utter delight! ...O my beloved, linger in the gardens, how wonderful that your companions can listen to your voice. Let me hear it, too!"

How I delight in my lover, my husband. I try my best to be a living well for his enjoyment. Do you see, how much the man enjoys his wife's companionship? Not just because of her looks, but what comes out of her mouth. Her words are as sweet as honey, they refresh his life. (Proverbs 21:9, 19), She is not a crabby complaining woman, who he runs from. She is a woman that even the other women enjoy! Proverbs 31, "Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is worth more than precious rubies. Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She will not hinder him but help him all her life... She is energetic and strong... When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions."

My heart leaps with joy when I hear my husband call my name, he has proven himself to me. He has taken his vows to me (Ephesians 5:25ff) seriously and he has covered me with his love. Genesis 2:24, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave (cling to, adhere, stick fast, to be faithful) unto his wife." My lover pursues me with all of his energy. He works for my love. We work together, in our marriage, for our marriage. Neither one is lazy. Our marriage is work and we reap of wonderful harvest because of this. If you have a marriage that is suffering, look to yourself and what is your contribution. There is never only one side to the story. Are you willing to work for your lover, without complaint? Are you willing to lay your own desires aside and cleave unto your spouse? Are you putting your marriage first, and working for your lover? Do they sense your attraction for them, or do they no longer experience your love? Put your lover first, no matter what. Work for your marriage. Make love with your lover, in everything you do throughout the day.

1 comment:

JanAl said...

Beautiful post. It makes me very thankful for my husband/my lover. I am blessed!