Saturday, May 16, 2009

Addition, There is no Subtraction

This morning I did not spend my time reading what I usually read. I opened my bible and felt like I needed to reflect on what I have been learning. I write often in my bible, it is my words and thoughts to God, with God, as I grow and discover things. These past few months were spent in a way that I never dreamed of. I got my teaching degree, but I really never saw myself in the schools. My calling is to stay home and be my sons teacher. Not that it is really all that easy and fun always, but it is the calling that I feel on my life right now. Homeschooling, being a house wife, taking care of my family and who ever comes through my door, I feel this is where I am supposed to be in this season of my life. But as usual, God had other plans for me that I did not see coming.

I truly have loved being in the schools with the kids. Honestly, my favorite time was spent with the high schoolers, even though my degree is in Elementary education. I loved talking with them, even though they probably just thought I was a nut. Now that I am settling back into my life here with my boys and thinking about the summer, I am so thankful for my opportunity to get to spend a few months in the schools. I pray that the kids will heed my words and think about life and the consequences that each choice brings them. Last night I watched "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." I watched how so much of their time seemed to be partying and having fun, but the hurt and pain from that time lasted a lifetime. If you just look at the fun, you think, "what is the problem, they were not hurting anyone." But then you see the outcome from those moments of pleasure and if you watch carefully you can see how lives were destroyed because of those brief moments of passion.

In Genesis 37, Reuben was a good man, but in his moment of passion he paid dearly for his decision. "What is gained from a moment of passion is only perceived; what is lost is real and permanent." I spent the last few days of my time at school talking to several young girls. I did a little math with them. I asked these 16 year old girls, how many guys they have slept with. 4 and 6 were their reply. So I asked them, if they keep the rate that they are currently going on, how many would that be by the time they are 20 years old. They were shocked and disgusted. When we are in it, many times we do not think in these terms. Each day we make a life choice. It is not about the "right now." It is about the always. We cannot subtract with our life choices, we can only add.

I had a lot of fun when I was partying all of the time. I did, it was fun, but the consequences become real when the party is over. I cannot sit around and regret my life, but I can try with all of my might to truly enjoy the rest of my life. The true joy comes with the decisions that bring no shame. True joy is in leading a life that helps you to sing. I cannot subtract from what I have done with my past, it will always be with me. These young kids cannot subtract what they have already done, but we can make sure that the additions that we make, are additions that we can be proud of. I pray that God was served in my time in the schools. If I am to go back again, I pray that He will be glorified. I am so thankful that through Christ I can be made pure again. Even though I cannot subtract what I have done, He can make me clean.

Psalm 90:14, "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives."

1 comment:

Kara said...

I'm glad you're back to blogging - I have really missed reading your posts. Love you!!!
Kara