Sunday, May 24, 2009

Conversations

Have you ever had a dream where you had a conversation with God. Last night, I had this dream. I have had many conversations lately that deal with getting high or drunk. The question usually goes like this, "But what is wrong with it if I don't hurt anyone in the process? I mean, if I don't become an addict and we are just having fun, then what is wrong with it?" In my dream God answered my question for me. He said, "If you love me, you will obey me. And I have told you not to do it." After I woke up, I kept thinking about my conversation. It doesn't matter if I or anyone else wants to do something, what matters is that I am obeying God. I have watched it and I have done it. You're right, there is no harm in getting high if no one is really affected. Especially if you only do it just every once in a while and you are just having fun.

Romans 13, "The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Every time I have ever gotten waisted, I always acted differently. Even if I did nothing to hurt me or anyone else. Every time we indulge in getting high, we say things and do things that we normally would not do. If we love Christ, we are to follow Him. Does this mean that I never drink. Of coarse not, I do drink, but I do not love the drink. I cannot get drunk.

This brings up another point. If we are drinking every night, then we are loving the drink. And if we are constantly tuning to a substance to help us cope with our lives, then how are we to say we are relying on God? He is asking us to love Him. So, if we are loving a substance more than Him, are we obeying Him? Honestly, this takes out any other substance. I cannot partake in smoking a bowl with someone, because this one hit would get me high. I can casually have a drink with someone, because this one drink would not get me drunk. I love the feeling of getting high. I love the feeling of getting drunk, but He wants me to love Him more. If I allow myself to do these things, then I am falling in love with something other than God. Revelation 2:4, "Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first."

I must continually ask myself, whom do I love? Do I love Him enough to obey Him? Do I love Him enough to guard my heart so that I will never fall out of love with Him again? Whom do you love?

No comments: