Friday, July 23, 2010

A Jealous Eye

1 Samuel 24:9-15, "He said to Saul, "Why do you listen when men say, 'David is bent on harming you'? This day you have seen with your own eyes how the LORD delivered you into my hands in the cave. Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, 'I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the LORD's anointed.' See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. May the LORD judge between you and me. And may the LORD avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. As the old saying goes, 'From evildoers come evil deeds,' so my hand will not touch you."

It is so hard to understand or get a grip when someone is speaking falsely about you. What you want to do is first defend yourself. Then you want to understand why they would want to harm you. It can be so hard, because what you do is you take it personally. Instead of looking at them and keeping the focus on them and what they are going through, we instead start looking at ourselves and try to defend ourself. In that fear our insecurity comes forth and we begin to think that others will believe the lie instead of the truth. That insecurity often leads us to reaction. We may want to tell our side and defend our integrity. But all too often when we are speaking our defense, we show our insecurity and panic leads us to reaction and that reaction is all that others can see.

1 Samuel 18:8-15, "Saul was very angry; this refrain galled him. 'They have credited David with tens of thousands,' he thought, 'but me with only thousands. What more can he get but the kingdom?' And from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David...When Saul saw how successful he was, he was afraid of him."

Often times when we look back at what started the battle we are in, it is the other persons insecurity. Many times when we start trying to defend ourself, it is our own insecurity. We must stand against the one trying to harm us, but what we must remember is that is the Lord who will judge between us and He will not allow the onslaught to continue forever. All too often however, because of what we have done in the past, or because of what someone else that is close to us has done, we are afraid that our reputation may already be tainted and we cannot endure another blow. That is when our own insecurity takes hold and we battle against against the world, instead of allowing God to be the judge in our defense.

Oswald Chambers, "Sanctification means the impartation of the holy qualities of Jesus Christ to me. It is the gift of His patience, love, holiness, faith, purity, and godliness that is exhibited in and through every sanctified soul. Sanctification is not drawing from Jesus the power to be holy— it is drawing from Jesus the very holiness that was exhibited in Him, and that He now exhibits in me. Sanctification is an impartation, not an imitation. Imitation is something altogether different. The perfection of everything is in Jesus Christ, and the mystery of sanctification is that all the perfect qualities of Jesus are at my disposal. Consequently, I slowly but surely begin to live a life of inexpressible order, soundness, and holiness— “...kept by the power of God...'(1 Peter 1:5)."

After we have given ourselves over to Christ we no longer have to defend ourselves against the onslaught of others and defend our reputation. He has given us a gift and that is "the gift of His patience, love, holiness, faith, purity, and godliness." When we are attacked we must remember God is the judge and we will be cleared, because we now walk with Him in integrity. This walk is very important for the believer, for it is a walk of calm assurance. It is not a walk we do on our own, but a walk we do with Christ as our shield against the world. It is the walk that will help us to keep our eye on the focus and truth of someone who is trying to harm us. That truth is that, that person is hurting. Anytime someone is hurting they will try and throw the spear at the one, who it seems to them, as the cause of their pain. Can you keep your focus on God and keep looking at others through His eyes, even when you are the innocent one in the attack?

No comments: