Friday, July 2, 2010

Will they call me Happy?

Proverbs 31:28-31, "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.' Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

I heard a study done by Beth Moore at one time and I keep replaying it in my mind. In verse 28, "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also..." I learned through Beth that the word blessed is actually the word Asher, which when directly translated means "happy". "Her children arise and call her happy; her husband also..."

When I think of my life, my attitude toward life; I have to wonder would people see me and call me happy. When they think of me, do they see joy unsurpassing? The woman in Proverbs 31 is supposed to be the ideal woman. She is diligent with her work. Her husband, her friends, her children can trust her. She is good with money. She is energetic. "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future."

As I look at my life I have to compare myself with this woman. I have to see her and see strength. But, I must also ask myself, what gives her these qualities? When I see certain people, whatever their walk in this life may be, what I notice most is their attitude. Some people have a spring in their step, even when you know their feet are hurting. When I think of Jesus alive and walking on this earth, I think of His smile, even though He was seen in Isaiah 53 much differently. "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering."

Today is my oldest sons 7th birthday. Would he call me happy, or would he call me tired and grumpy? Luckily he is young and I can do better today than I did yesterday. My tomorrow with him will not be filled with sorrows. When he thinks of his childhood, I want him to to rise and call me happy. When others see me, I do not want them to see a woman who is battling physically with MS, but I want them to see a woman who is happy. No matter what my situation may be, it does not matter if my husband is perfect or not (which he is not, no one is); it does not matter if my children obey me right when I ask them to do something or not (which they don't); my situation should never predict my joy. My joy should always predict my attitude about life and my joy should always come from my Lord. "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering." Yet, He is known as the Light of this world and we are to have a joy with Him that no situation can take from us. Today would my husband and children rise and call me happy? Tomorrow when my children are grown, will they look back on their childhood and say that their mother was happy? I say that I am happy. Does my reactions/actions reflect what I think I am, or am I lying to myself?

Oswald Chambers, "If the closest relationships of a disciple’s life conflict with the claims of Jesus Christ, then our Lord requires instant obedience to Himself. Discipleship means personal, passionate devotion to a Person— our Lord Jesus Christ. There is a vast difference between devotion to a person and devotion to principles or to a cause. Our Lord never proclaimed a cause— He proclaimed personal devotion to Himself. To be a disciple is to be a devoted bondservant motivated by love for the Lord Jesus. Many of us who call ourselves Christians are not truly devoted to Jesus Christ. No one on earth has this passionate love for the Lord Jesus unless the Holy Spirit has given it to him. We may admire, respect, and revere Him, but we cannot love Him on our own. The only One who truly loves the Lord Jesus is the Holy Spirit, and it is He who has “poured out in our hearts” the very “love of God” (Romans 5:5 ). Whenever the Holy Spirit sees an opportunity to glorify Jesus through you, He will take your entire being and set you ablaze with glowing devotion to Jesus Christ."

If I keep my focus on Christ and not my circumstances, then others will see me and call me happy!

No comments: