Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Patient Love

1 Timothy 1:15-17, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--and I was the worst of them all. But that is why God had mercy on me, so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of His great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in Him and receive eternal life. Glory and honor to God forever and ever. He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God."

I cannot tell you all of the awful things that I have done. I will not give you any detail on my past life. If you have ever been in a strip club, then you know. If you have ever been a druggie, then you know. If you have ever stolen anything, then you know. If you have ever been divorced, then you know. I do not have to give descriptions, you can use your imagination. I was the worst of sinners! I did it all, fill in the blank, I am sure that I have done it. Yet Christ came for me, in the midst of my sinning. He came for me, when I was at my worst. He saved me when...He did not condemn me and send me to hell. He spoke softly to me. No one else could hear Him speaking. No one else could see me listening, but I was.

In order to change the way I was living I had to remove myself from anyone who did "those things". God took away every friend that I had. I had to let Him become my friend. "Become friends with God; He's already a friend with you," 2 Corinthians 5:20b, Msg. During this I was surrounded by good strong Christ followers. Now I am strong, I can be that friend to someone in that situation. Here is the key; I do not struggle with "that" anymore. But I will not let myself to be around someone who I feel will bring me down. For instance: If I struggled with gossip (which, I do not think I do anymore) I would not hang out with someone who did gossip. I have surrounded myself with very strong people for so long, that I am able to be a better friend for others. Now I have been opening my door more readily for people who, say, struggle with drugs. I am not scared that I will fall back into that temptation, but I can relate with them. I have a common ground that I can fall back on. No one needs to fear judgment from me, because I can relate with them.

The hardest thing, in seeing someone struggle with sin, is patience. God has shown me more love and patience than I deserved. He was with me, while I was driving to the club. He was with me, as I entered into the dealers house. He was patient with me. But he was calling me the whole time. I, on the other hand, have to remind myself constantly about how patient He was with me and not condemn others in their time of "patience". God is constantly reminding me where I come from, not to condemn me, but to help me show His love. If He can show me so much patience, then what is a little patience expressed by me. I was much worse than most anyone I know, but He loved me right in the big thick of it all.

It was because of God's undying love for me that I decided to follow Him. I could hear him whispering to my heart and I wanted more than anything, to be loved. He loved me, so in return I loved Him. He loved me first, so the only thing that I could do was to love Him back. I wanted to please Him with my life, so I changed my behavior, because He loved me. I could see His love through the people that He placed in my life. I could feel His pure touch, because His followers were representing that touch. Now that I am much better (I will never have it perfect, but I am much better) it is my turn. I am to be the person who shows His undying love. I have to remind myself; it took so much patience for me. It is my turn to show that patience. Am I? I am not perfect, but I am called to love. It was through His followers that I was able to hear Him. He was there first, then He sent His followers to help me. It is my turn to show that love. Am I? Where are you in all of this? Are you needing that patient love, or is it your turn to give it?

No comments: