Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fruit

What fruit have you been producing through your life? Do people see you on a regular basis and think, "they are different"? What sets you apart from the rest of the world? Luke 13, Jesus said, "A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, 'I've waited three years, and there hasn't been a single fig! Cut it down. It is taking up space we can use for something else.' The gardener answered, 'give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I'll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, you can cut it down.' ...The door to heaven is narrow. Work hard to get in, because many will try to enter, but when the head of the house has locked the door, it will be too late. Then you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Lord, open the door for us!' But he will reply, 'I don't know you.' You will say, 'But we ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.' And he will reply, 'I tell you, I don't know you. Go away, all you who do evil.'"

I can look around me at what other people are doing in their public lives. I see others and I can easily see their faults and what they need to change. Honestly, it does not matter what they are doing. Every day I have to ask myself, "What am I doing?" They only real test to your faith, it is your fruit. If you go to church and listen to every sermon; if you can quote the entire New Testament, it does not matter. What matters is how you are living your every day life.

Many people will tell you that all you have to do is believe in Jesus and Him crucified and you will be saved or get baptized and you are in. This is true, but there is more. He is watching your life, on a daily basis, to see if you are producing fruit. Now this does not mean that if you make a mistake today, you are doomed. We all make many mistakes; Jesus is patient with us and gives us another day, every day. But He does say that it is hard to enter and it takes a lot of work. Just because you can quote His words, does not make you right with Him. Your life that you live; the trust that you have in Him; the faith that you express to Him through your life; your fruit, that is what He is looking for. He looks at my life to see if I am producing anything that He can gather. Can He come to me and know that I am alive? Or am I just existing; taking up space in His garden?

Luke 14:25-35. "And you cannot be my disciple if you do not carry your own cross and follow me. But don't begin until you count the cost. ...how everyone would laugh at you! ...So no one can become My disciple without giving up everything for Me. ...Anyone who is willing to hear should listen and understand." Are you willing to listen? Am I able to understand? He does say that it matters how you live your life. He wants you to change your living conditions, so that you can hear Him and follow Him. Start at home! How are you treating your spouse? It does not matter how they are treating you. How are you treating them? How are you treating your children? How are you treating the waitress at your table? How are you treating the cashier at the store? How do you treat the client that comes to your office? Do they see something different about you? What fruit are you producing? Is it ripe, ready to pick; or rotten, so that no one can use it?

2 comments:

JanAl said...

I was just wasting time on the computer, when I came across your blog. I think it is cool that your post has a lot to teach about scripture. I am blessed by your testimony, as my mother has/had a life of drug and sex addictions, but has never known the Lord as Savior. I had a hard life of abuse by my mother, physically and mentally, but Praise God, He has saved me and protected me from myself! I hope you don't mind if I read thru your blog at times. I love to hear others testimonies of what the Lord has done for, and thru them.
Praising God for your new life in Him!
Janal in Ohio

Jenny said...

I am so blessed by you writing me. Thank you for letting me know about your new life with God. He is so good. I will be praying for you, your brothers and sisters and your mother. Bless God and all of His wonderful mercy.