Monday, November 3, 2008

God in a Box

Mark 7:7-23, "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away. Their worship is a farce, for they replace God's commands with their own man-made teachings.' For you ignore God's specific laws and substitute your own traditions.... It is the thought-life that defiles you. For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, eagerness for lustful pleasure, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you and make you unacceptable to God."

Wake up, oh Christian sleeper! Do you see what keeps you from experiencing the full glory of Christ? It is not the traditions that you adhere to on Sunday morning; it is not how you think you appear to other people that matters. It is your heart; your thought life that keeps you from Him, or that brings you into a deeper relationship with Him. So many people get caught up in how they are worshiping on Sunday, but they forget the rest of their life. Trust me, one day a week does not make you right with God. How are you living your life? This is the question that you must ask yourself, every day.

Mark 9:14-29, The disciples had been trying to cast out an evil spirit, but could not. "Jesus said to them, 'You faithless people! How long must I be with you until you believe? How long must I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."...The father said to Jesus, "Have mercy on us. Do something if you can.' 'What do you mean, 'If I can?' Jesus asked. 'Anything is possible if a person believes.' The father instantly replied, 'I do believe, but help me not to doubt!" ..."Afterward, when Jesus was alone in the house with His disciples, they asked Him, 'Why couldn't we cast out that evil spirit?' Jesus replied, 'This kind can be cast out only by prayer."

The disciples got caught up with one way of doing things, but Jesus showed them that there are many ways to work. Mark 9:38-40, "John said to Jesus, 'Teacher, we saw a man using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn't one of our group.' 'Don't stop him!' Jesus said. 'No one who performs miracles in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me. Anyone who is not against us is for us."

What are you getting stuck on? If you are focusing on the wrong thing; you will not be able to move forward with your relationship with God. Do not focus on what others are doing. You do not know their heart, they may just be on His side. What we must focus on, is our self. Make sure that your thought life is not defiling you. If you have doubt, but you believe, Jesus will help you with your doubt, if your true desire is for Him. Stop arguing among other believers in Christ. Do not get stuck on traditions. Look at what is really important. The only person we can really focus on is our self. Everyday I must wake up and purposefully seek Christ. I have to, I know me. I am constantly looking at myself and my relationship with Christ, because I know how easily I can be mislead. God works in many wonderful ways. If we ever try to put Him in a box, we will soon find out that the box we used was the wrong sized. He has His own boundaries; we cannot make boundaries for Him. Look at your own life; continuously seek God and always be thankful for His Grace. If we desire Him, He will help heal us. He will help us with our doubt.

No comments: