Thursday, February 12, 2009

Freedom Living

Galatians 1-5: When Paul received Christ as his savior, he "did not rush out and consult with anyone." He did not go to the Jews, he went to the gentiles. "It was not until three years later that I finally went to Jerusalem for a visit with Peter..." He had to stay away, for some time to go by, in order for others to see that he had changed his life. So often we desire instant change and go seeking others, so that we can show them how we have changed. This is a very fatal mistake that we often make, once we have decided to serve Christ. In a way it sets us up for failure, because we do not start out a changed life, so then we are placed under the law. "For when I tried to keep the law, I realized I could never earn God's approval. So I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me."

"After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?" After being a slave to sin, it is so hard not to become a slave to the law. I know that when I truly wanted my life to change, I felt it was hopeless. I felt as though I would die, trying so hard. It was so hard for me to understand. I had to really see that Christ set me free. I obey and live in true freedom, not to earn salvation, but to experience the true joy of freedom living. "For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace... What is important is faith expressing itself in love."

For so long I felt I was getting mixed signals from God about what it really means to be saved. My life was supposed to be different, but I was not supposed to be doing good for God's love. It took time and I am still learning. I feel different now, so I feel like I am understanding His love and my love a little more. "Love your neighbor as yourself." Who are your neighbors? So often we leave the house, in order to find who our neighbors are. We do not have to leave our house to find our closest neighbor. "But instead of showing love among yourselves you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another." Honestly, when I started treating my husband different and started loving him, my life changed. I no longer felt so hostile toward everyone and everything. I started understanding Christ's love for me. Then I was no longer having to work at my salvation. I was set free, because my love changed. I now serve Him and obey Him out of love, not works.

"When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God. But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, He will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law."

It took several years for my actions to start revealing what my heart was so desperately desiring. I did not have a changed life right away. In fact I am still changing. Everyday there is another part that I am working on. But I do not work at my life, because of trying to earn salvation. I work at becoming a different person, because He has saved me. I am no longer a slave to anything. I have been set free to love. He bore my cross and He paid my debt. Now because of freedom, I can live a life that pleases Him. In order to truly understand where my heart is, all I have to do is look at what is guiding my life and my actions. I no longer have to wonder, my heart is drawn by His love. I still make mistakes, but my love is for Him. You must never question His love for you, for He loves you. What you must question, is your love for Him. Do you love Him? What are you seeking? Where is your heart leading you?
Don't live in slavery; slavery to sin or to the law. Live free with Christ and discover His love.

No comments: