Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Warrior/Martyr

As I sit reading this morning, Nahum and Habakkuk, tears have been streaming down my face. I see the terrors that the righteous faced and I feel the battle brewing in the midst. It is one thing to think about going into battle for God, as a great warrior. It is quite another thinking, He may be calling you to battle to be a martyr. I have friends coming tonight to my house. They are traveling here from Kansas, where I have been asked to speak in youth rallies about sex, about God, about my life and the choices that the kids are faced with today. I am filled with hope and excitement, mixed with concerns and uncertainties. I do not know if God is calling me to battle to be a mighty warrior for Him, or if I am going to be a martyr.

Habakkuk 2:3, "...these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow. wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed..." If anyone knows me at all they know that I am not a very patient person. I like instant gratification. However, the God that I serve is a very patient God and to live according to His timing always takes patience on our part. Things will not happen too soon, nor will He be late. It is in His control. He is Sovereign. If He is asking us to go into battle, we will go. If He is asking us to become martyrs, then martyrs it is.

Oswald Chambers, "In the Bible clouds are always associated with God. Clouds are the sorrows, sufferings, or providential circumstances, within or without our personal lives, which actually seem to contradict the sovereignty of God. Yet it is through these very clouds that the Spirit of God is teaching us how to walk by faith. If there were never any clouds in our lives, we would have no faith. 'The clouds are the dust of His feet' (Nahum 1:3). They are a sign that God is there. What a revelation it is to know that sorrow, bereavement, and suffering are actually the clouds that come along with God! God cannot come near us without clouds— He does not come in clear-shining brightness." When I see the battle raging ahead of me, do I see the victory? Am I looking to God and seeing it His way? Or, am I doing things for my own glory? Am I truly walking by faith, in every aspect of my life? Does it matter if I am called to be a mighty warrior or a martyr? The only thing that matters is Christ and His light being shown through His followers. It does not matter if I am called for something "great". I am called to live this day, this moment for Him. Am I living today for His glory? Do I give Him the victory?

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/07/29/devotion.aspx?year=2009

1 comment:

Linda Stubbs said...

Hello, You do not know me. I am Joshua (our son) and Tonya's mom. I can not tell you how excited our family is that our children are on their way out to your place of refuge. We have prayed for years that the Lord would touch our children and that they would turn their hearts toward the Lord. God answered our prayers when Josh went to Dr. Schaumburg and then they went the second time and met you and your husband. God is beyond awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tonya is so precious to us!!!!! Josh, Ellie and Ian also. We just wanted to tell you thank you so much for having them out and we are praying for God's blessings. We know that you all will have a blast. Just wanted you both to know that we appreciate you so much. Tonya is so excited!!! Love your blog. We are so aware of the battle. The enemy is hot on the trail for the family.
Blessings to you! Linda