Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shadow of Death

Psalm 23, "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

If you have ever been alone without God, then you know what the valley of the shadow of death is like. I have walked right through that valley, and there was nothing safe about it. I lived by Corpus Christi Texas, and I found myself all alone, with no God, with no hope, with no life. I used to sit in my living room calling out for someone, anything to hear me. I was not calling to God, for I had long before given up on Him. I was calling out for anyone else, something else. I was walking right through the shadow of darkness, and I was afraid. Chesterton, “The tragedy of disbelieving in God is not that a person ends up believing in nothing. Alas it is much worse, he may end up believing in anything.” (RZ) My life was upside down and I was drowning.

Some people may think that I am extreme, and I guess I am, but I don't care. I know how far sin can try and destroy me. I know what it is like to want. I know the emptiness that disbelieving in God brings. “The loneliest moment in life is when you have experienced that which you thought would deliver the ultimate, but it has let you down.” (RZ) The ultimate can come in many different forms. Whether it is in the form of physical pleasure, chemical high, or even spiritual awakening. Those mountain tops always have a valley on the other side. It is in knowing that my shepherd is leading me, that I can face this next valley. He lets me rest in green meadows. He guides me as I take my next step, this day. This passage is not for this long journey. This passage is for each moment. I can rest beside the peaceful stream. For when the flood waters come raging in upon me, He will rescue me. He will guide me to another meadow, to another peaceful stream. My job is to follow Him and not be led astray ever again. My job is to guard my heart, so that I don't just turn and start believing in just anything. My job is to make sure that the others who I am following, are following my shepherd.

Psalm 22, "Do not be far from me, for trouble is near, and there is no one to help...But You, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me...Rescue me..You who fear the LORD, Praise Him!... Honor Him! Revere Him..." Let Him guide you, even when you think you can no longer see Him. If you are having trouble finding your shepherd, look around and find His flock. Start following His sheep, so they can help you find Him again.

Oswald Chambers, "When God gets us alone through suffering, heartbreak, temptation, disappointment, sickness, or by thwarted desires, a broken friendship, or a new friendship— when He gets us absolutely alone, and we are totally speechless, unable to ask even one question, then He begins to teach us...As you journey with God, the only thing He intends to be clear is the way He deals with your soul. The sorrows and difficulties in the lives of others will be absolutely confusing to you. We think we understand another person’s struggle until God reveals the same shortcomings in our lives. There are vast areas of stubbornness and ignorance the Holy Spirit has to reveal in each of us, but it can only be done when Jesus gets us alone. Are we alone with Him now? Or are we more concerned with our own ideas, friendships, and cares for our bodies? Jesus cannot teach us anything until we quiet all our intellectual questions and get alone with Him."

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/01/13/devotion.aspx?year=2010

1 comment:

JanAl said...

just felt like saying that I was here.....

thanks for sharing......