Friday, March 26, 2010

Arrows Flying

Oswald Chambers, "Purity is not innocence— it is much more than that. Purity is the result of continued spiritual harmony with God. We have to grow in purity. Our life with God may be right and our inner purity unblemished, yet occasionally our outer life may become spotted and stained. God intentionally does not protect us from this possibility, because this is the way we recognize the necessity of maintaining our spiritual vision through personal purity. If the outer level of our spiritual life with God is impaired to the slightest degree, we must put everything else aside until we make it right. Remember that spiritual vision depends on our character— it is 'the pure in heart' who 'see God.'"

Yesterday I felt a sting. Someone told me that the high school boys had made a statement about a substitute teacher that had been a stripper. It stung. Maybe it hurt because my emotions had already been running high from the funeral. Satan does tend to strike when we are the weakest. If I allowed myself to walk into any situation alone, I would be overcome with fear of my past. I couldn't do this alone. But at the same time, I cannot not do what I know God is wanting me to do, and that is to share my shame so others know they do not have to wallow in theirs.

Even though Satan tries to come in and attack, I have covered myself with His armor so that I can stand and fight. Ephesians 6:10-18, "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."

With this I feel pure. Even though I have not lived a pure life and I have opened the door for many shots from the devil, I can walk into any room, any situation and hold my head high. Sometimes people think it is easier to keep your past to yourself and never let anyone know what you have done, but I say that is a lie from Satan. “You are only as sick as your secrets,” (Ruth Graham). You don't want to walk around like Jerry Springer is, announcing every time you enter a situation; but you do need to learn to walk in the grace of God. "God makes us pure by an act of His sovereign grace, but we still have something that we must carefully watch. It is through our bodily life coming in contact with other people and other points of view that we tend to become tarnished. Not only must our "inner sanctuary" be kept right with God, but also the "outer courts" must be brought into perfect harmony with the purity God gives us through His grace. Our spiritual vision and understanding is immediately blurred when our "outer court" is stained. If we want to maintain personal intimacy with the Lord Jesus Christ, it will mean refusing to do or even think certain things. And some things that are acceptable for others will become unacceptable for us, (OC)"

I have diligently sought God for many years. I still make many mistakes and often say the wrong thing, but by the grace of God, I live and feel pure. I know that if I can do it, anyone can. Christ is our salvation, our rock, our shield, our protector. He can help us when we are attacked. He can, if we will only accept His help and diligently seek Him. So when Satan throws his arrows, sometimes it stings. How I thank God that He can bring me back by His grace and help me to remember with Him I am pure no matter what I have done.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God."

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/03/26/devotion.aspx?year=2010

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your story is a great witness to others! Don't be discouraged by what some teenagers say. Just keep up the good work in the community!