Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Eye of the Tornado

Luke 15:11-31, "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living...When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."

I can think of no other time in my life when I tore my mothers heart more, than when I chose to leave the family. I was determined that I was going to do things my way and no one could stop me. It started when I ran off to Vegas and got married. Then the roller coaster ride of self destructions was started and no one could stop it. I would love to blame anyone else for my choices, but see they were my choices. I thought I was choosing what was best for me. I thought I was living life. It was wild, fun, exciting. What I could not see was that I was walking right into the lions den and pain was soon to follow.

My attitude toward my mother was, "You just do not understand me at all. I am doing what I have to, and I am going to be fine." I saw her panic over my life as just another way that she was trying to control me. She freaked out over the little things that she could see, what would she do if she ever found out the whole scope of my choices. If she thought that smoking a cigarette was bad, that was nothing. If she thought the clothes that I wore around her were inappropriate, at least I had them on. I thought there was no way she could handle the truth. All I ever wanted was to be accepted for who I was. Yet, even though my mothers intentions were good, I took it as rejection. For if she was having trouble with what she knew, she could never handle the truth. If she didn't accept my husband when he was on his best behavior, how could she accept him if... It was like, the more she tried to protect me from my choices, the harder I tried to show her I was fine in my life.

It was not my mother shoving God down my throat; it was not her telling me that I was making bad decisions that finally brought me home. She sent me Christian CDs. She started writing me letters telling me how much joy she found in me. It was love that brought me home. It was someone else talking about God that I heard Him. It was love that saved my memory of home.

The cool part is, I came home. It was my life and I was determined to destroy it. I thought I was doing what was best for me. I was running into the lion's den and no one could stop me. Another cool part, that is where I was finally able to allow God to help me. My mother's job was to raise me, then show me love. The more she screamed for me to stop, the harder I ran. When she started writing me the love letters, love was discovered. Home is what brought me back. Love saved my memory. It was good for me to know that she did not agree with my life choices, but it was my life. It was when she finally started truly loving me that I started to see the truth of my life. It was in the eye of the tornado, the quiet in the middle of the storm, that I was finally able to hear God calling me home.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

For those mothers-- Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God."

I am truly sorry if you find yourself in the place of the mother (or father, but this is my testimony) watching her child going to the lions. But hear me please, it was my mothers worry that helped me to stay in as long as I did. I am not blaming her, it was my choice, but her worrying and trying to take control of a situation that was out of control did not help me or her. It was when she appeared to relax and love me that I was beginning to hear God. It seemed like every time she tried to hold me back, things got worse for me. Instead of my being able to see the truth of my pain, I blamed her. She had to step back just enough for me to see the real cause of my hurt, me.

Please let your child go, so they can see that you love them. Send them love letters wooing them back to your arms. Turn your worry into a mighty love walk with your Lord, and let Him take care of His child. Do not disown them. I don't suggest celebrating with them either. But let them know that you love them, even if they have done the "unthinkable", whatever that may be. Be still, be quiet, let His love flow through you, so you can breathe.

Yes, it can turn out to the worst of your imagination, but it can also be a wonderful story of redemption. I know, I am proof of that one. I was almost dead, but at just the right time He saved me. It was love that brought my memories of home back, but it was my God that saved me.

Nothing is harder than giving your everything over to the trust of God. It just may happen that your everything is your child. The comfort is that they are not really yours, but His...

robertbowlds said...

Jenny,
Wow...what a testimony....I like your Mother and probably like a lot of Fathers have experienced the heart wrenching pain of a daughter leaving me and learning how to fly. I guess I've never full understood her need to be out from under my controlling ways and my wanting to try to get her to believe like I believe and follow me the way I was trying to follow Jesus. I've often thought about doing as your Mom did and writing to her to tell her how much of a joy having her in my life has been and how much I love her and want her to find her way and her own happiness. I know she won't always make the right choices, but, I have to believe in her and in the God I worship enough to believe that He will bring her back to Him.
Thank you for your wonderful insight and wisdom Jenny. God Bless you and yours always,
In His love,
Robert

Jenny said...

Robert,
I have to say this...
While I was living with my parents, I always had to go to church with them. My independence, not going to church, was after I moved out. I am so thankful that they took me with them, so please do not think that it is okay to totally let her do her own thing now. She is still in your house and I think that includes going to church. Whether, she likes it or not- your house/your God. Just a thought...

robertbowlds said...

Jenny,
Actually....I was speaking more about my baby girl...my 1st Amanda...although a lot of this also applies to Alicia....I do still insist that she attend Church with me and actually I'm encouraged because even though she claims Wiccan as her "religion",. she does attend my bible study group with me at Bob Bernard's house on Wed nights...thank you for you prayers and thoughts Jenny

Jenny said...

Robert,
Oh good :o)
I thought you were talking about Alicia. I was afraid you just read that you didn't have to do what I know you are doing... That almost freaked me out... Thanks for clarifying... love you