Friday, August 6, 2010

So Long Insecurity

Insecurity, who hasn't struggled with this one. The question is, "How do you deal with insecurity, and what are we insecure about?" I have struggled with insecurity. I want to say, more than most, but I know this is probably not true. It is probably more true to say we all struggle with it the same, it just manifests itself differently. My level of insecurity makes me feel like I have been the most insecure woman on earth. That in and of itself proves how insecure I have been. I would like to say that I no longer struggle with such an issue, but that is not true either. I can say that my insecurity has gotten lots better. Some may think I am exaggerating about my insecurity. They may think, "What do you have to be insecure about? Your husband loves you. You have a nice house. You have to be the most secure woman in the room." Insecurity, it is one of my biggest down falls. Those who are around me much at all know how insecure I am, for I am very vocal. But, if I were not so open about so much in my life and if I did not come right out and say what I was thinking, when I was thinking it, I think, I could put on a pretty good front and fool many into believing that I never struggle with much at all. This is what I think most of us do. However, the truth behind most of it, is that we do struggle with insecurity. We struggle with it so much that we become insecure about being insecure.

1 Samuel 22:1-2, "So David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam. Soon his brothers and all his other relatives joined him there. Then others began coming—men who were in trouble or in debt or who were just discontented—until David was the captain of about 400 men." David's mightiest men were men who were on the bottom of life. They were rejected, outcasts who had everything to be insecure about. David, himself, had every reason to be insecure, but his love of God brought him strength and allowed him to see the truth. That truth is- when we have God on our side, we have no reason to be insecure. David inspired these men to achieve beyond their goals and to meet their true potential. David was their inspiration, God was his. So many times these men were outnumbered and from the looks of others, they should have been defeated. 2 Samuel 23, David's mightiest men were found in three and thirty. He had men that were closest to him, who were the greatest warriors in his army. They fought and won great victories. David inspired them to great feats, but the ruler of this great army of men was led by the only One who could give true victory. When David was the most victorious, was when he kept his eyes upon God.

While I still struggle with insecurity, I have found that in this time period in my life, I am the most secure. There was time spent just a few short years ago, that I was so alone. I had no one. Yes, I was married, but I did not love and lean on my husband. I was in a desolate place. It was in this place that I found my strength. I began turning to Christ and allowing Him to give me strength for the first time. Then, as I began growing and allowing Him to give me life, He started to surround me with my mighty men. Only they were my mighty women. My friends are women who have been on the down and outs of life. Women who have been into drugs, adultery, lived life feeling rejected and second best. These women are my mighty women, like David had his mighty men. These women are strong and courageous. They go into battle everyday, but the cool thing is, they know how to arm themselves with shields and weapons that bring them a victory, even when defeat seems to be inevitable. I am not their leader, and they are not mine, but we battle together against the insecurities of this world. Here is the key, we have each had to go through our struggles and places of desolation. We had to go through that time alone, so that we could learn who our true leader was. Our freedom from insecurity is not in our husband, our looks, the money in our hand; It is in Christ our Lord.

If you are in a time of desolation and feeling like you are alone, the only one who... be patient. This time, is a time to overcome. This time is the time to learn Who your true leader is, and Whose you are. Alone time is not always bad. Those feelings of insecurity, the mightiest men have felt them. It is learning how to lean on the right One and how to fight for Him, that is how we become mighty ourselves. A husband will not bring you security, maybe for a moment, but that moment will pass. A child will not bring you security, neither will that friend, or that check. All things on this earth are a temporary security. They will all let you down at some point, and insecurity will start creeping in. It is in keeping our eyes upon our true leader that we can find no insecurity. His eyes will never wander as we get older and our beauty fades. His finances will always be enough to give us bread for this day. His security is the only place that we can never feel insecure. Do we know how to turn to Him as our leader? Are we His mighty men? Are we surrounded by His warriors? Whose mighty men are we as we start each day? Where is your insecurity today? You can overcome this. You just have to learn to follow the right Leader...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But wouldn't having a perfect god make someone feel even more insecure? I mean thats why people feel insecure most of the time...they are not up to their standards of perfection.

Jenny said...

It is the standards that others place on me and the standards that I place upon myself that make me feel insecure. My God is perfect and when I keep my focus on Him, then that brings security to me. What He expects from me also brings me security. That is the cool thing about Christ. He does not expect me to live above what He know that I am capable of. But the cool thing is that I am capable of more than I know...
In Luke 10 Jesus lets us know what He expects of us. “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Love is the greatest command. And through the parable of the good Samaritan, He explains this more. As long as I am truly living in love, that is what He expects. Now this does not mean that I just go out and live as I wish. No, going against God is not loving Him, but trying to live a life that brings a good reputation for His name through my life, that is loving Him. I need Him to be perfect, for there is no other in my life that I can look to for that perfection on love.

You said something that stands out to me, "thats why people feel insecure most of the time...they are not up to their standards of perfection." You are so right. My standards, that is what makes me feel insecure.

The best example that I have of how Christ sees me, is how I see my children. I would never expect them to do something that I know they cannot do. God never expects me to do something that I cannot do. I love my children, but I know that my love is weak compared to my God's love for me.

This is where Christ's blood comes into the picture. If it were not for Christ I would have no way. He knew that I would not be perfect. He even knew that I would not be able to love Him perfectly. This is the only religion/god that has given us a way to find Him without works. Every other god only offers works as a means for that utopia we all long for. But my God, He knew that I would mess up. He knew that I would not be able to live perfectly and never sin. So, since He so loved me, He came and paid the debt that I owe. It is only through His perfect blood, that He sees me as perfect. It is only through His perfect blood that I do not have to live in self condemnation everyday. I need Him to be perfect for me.

If He expected me to live a perfect existence just as He is perfect, then yes, I would be very insecure by His standards. But, oh how thankful that I worship a God who is Love. Through that Love I have grace. Through that grace I have life. It is in the blood that I find that grace, life, and love exist. In this life, if I keep my focus on Him and His love, there is no insecurity.