Friday, August 14, 2009

Faith Out of the Boat

Matthew 14:25ff, "During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw Him walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It's a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: 'Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.' 'Lord, if it's You,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to You on the water.' 'Come,' He said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and caught him. 'You of little faith,' He said, 'why did you doubt?' And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, 'Truly You are the Son of God.'"

I have heard this taught many times, but I have another take on this story of faith. Peter had faith in Jesus, for he got out of the boat. It was when he took his eyes off of Jesus that he began to doubt. He began to doubt, because he doubted himself. For, he started relying on himself instead of Jesus. When he began to sink, he called out to Jesus to save him. His attention was turned back towards his Lord and he found strength. I have experienced this same feeling in my life. I can know it is God directing my path, but then I doubt myself. I doubt if I can stay true. I do not doubt God; I know He is in control. The doubt that I feel is in myself. When I direct my attention toward me, I know I can fail. I start looking at the situation that I am in and I start trying to make things happen the way that I see them. What I need to do is to keep my focus on Christ and no matter what happens, I will not sink.

Whatever happens, I know God is in control. I know this. I can get uneasy not knowing the ending to the situation, but I do have faith in my God. It is in my own strength and power that I see weakness. Keeping our eyes on Christ is the key. Knowing that it is His strength in us that makes us strong. It is His power that keeps us afloat on the water. Peter's feet got wet. When we step out in faith, it does not mean that our feet will not get wet. It does mean that if we keep our eyes upon Jesus, we can walk upon the water. Whatever wave that comes toward us, if we keep our faith in Him and not upon ourselves, we will stay afloat. "You of little faith. Why do you doubt?" He gives us His power. Why do we begin to doubt ourselves as soon as we step out in faith? I have faith in my Lord. I find doubt when I look at myself. The key is learning to see Him in me, so that I do not rely on my own strength as I am walking in faith.

No comments: