Monday, August 24, 2009

The Spiritual Search

Mark 11: 9-10, As Jesus was entering the town upon a donkey's colt the people were shouting, "Praise God! Bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Bless the coming kingdom of our ancestor David! Praise God in highest heaven!" Oh how I praise my God! How wonderful He is and how thankful I am to Him. How often we gather in excitement for God, praising Him with the crowds. But, when the crowds stop cheering, will I? I try and study my true belief in God, by studying how I think and act every day. It is so easy to believe when everything is going my way. Even if something happens that I do not expect or necessarily want to happen, I can still have faith. But, my true faith is found in those simple moments. Those moment of doubt in my own life. Those moments when temptation comes to my heart that no one else will ever see.

Mark 9, "What do you mean, 'If I can?' Jesus asked. 'Anything is possible if a person believes.' ...'I do believe, but help me not to doubt!'" Those moments of doubt are not just those moments when you are concerned for your health, or someone close to you. They can also be those moments when you are tempted and wish for something more. When you think your life could be just a little better if... Those times when you may feel you have sinned so bad, that you think anything that comes afterwards is not as good as what could have been. If I only had... then I would be happy and content. Then I would not have any problems if he/she would be like... Those are the moments that sneak in and destroy your faith in what God has done for you. Those are the moments of temptation that come in and hinder your walk with your Lord.

I want to believe that when the crowd stops cheering, I will still have faith. I want to think that I am strong enough to withstand the pressure. But, am I? My doubt and unbelief are revealed to me every morning as I sit and pray to my Lord. He allows me to see just how far I still need to go. I cannot move mountains with my faith, for I cannot even conquer my attitude with those around me. Oswald Chambers, "We are all good at producing spiritual fog that blinds our sight. But if we will search out and examine the evidence, we will see very clearly what is wrong— a friendship, an unpaid debt, or an improper attitude." (9:19) "You faithless people! How long must I be with you until you believe?" How much does He have to bless me, until I can see? How long does He have to wait, until I can hear? Oh God, I do believe. Please help me when I doubt. Help me to see myself for who I really am, so that I can see You better. Allow me to speak with You openly. Help me to hear Your answers. Cleans me Father and teach me to follow You. For I do love You. Help me not to doubt You.

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/08/24/devotion.aspx?year=2009

No comments: