Tuesday, August 4, 2009

God Whistles

Zechariah 10:8-12, "When I whistle to them, they will come running, for I have redeemed them... They will pass safely through the sea of distress, for the waves of the sea will be held back... I will make them My people strong in My power, and they will go wherever they wish by My authority. I, the LORD, have spoken."

I do not yell and scream to get my boys attention. I whistle. I whistle and my oldest, because he has had more training, comes running. He knows that when he hears the sound of my whistle, I am calling him for something. Either we are leaving, or I want to tell him something, or give him something; really I just want his attention. My youngest tends to ignore my whistle and continue in on his endeavors. He has yet to learn that when he hears me, I mean business. I do not want to yell at him, or have to spank him for disobeying. I want him to pay attention to me when he hears me. God does the same for all of us. His desire is for us to live in safety and have a prosperous life. He wants us to come to Him when he whistles. He does not want to force us or for us to choose to be disciplined. He wants to bless us.

I am not sure exactly where the LORD is taking me, but I choose to walk and enter into each door that I think He is opening for me. I have been the younger sibling, stubbornly choosing to ignore the whistle of God. I do not want to have to walk through the sea of distress any longer. I want to know that He is leading me and I will be safe even when I am unsure. (6:15), "...you will know my messages have been from the LORD Almighty. All this will happen if you carefully obey the commands of the LORD your God." Each day I truly want to follow the LORDS direction for my life. Each day He is guiding me into a closer relationship to Him. Each day I stumble and fail in some way, but because I really want to do what He desires of me, he catches me and leads me safely.

Just yesterday, we went to a friends house for Jason to work on her computer. We took the boys with us because she has horses and ponds for them to play around. As we entered the coral where the horses where, I told the boys, "If you will obey me and do exactly what I say, you will be safe around the horses. If you do not obey me exactly as I command you too, you could get hurt. It is your choice. You can obey and have fun today, or disobey and pay the price in severe consequences for your disobedience." Because of my careful warning, the boys did exactly as I directed, and they had a wonderful day. God is our Father and He wants us to live in safety with Him. He has given all of us pleasures and rules that will make our life here better. We can either choose to obey His laws, and live under His protection, with Him holding the waves of destruction back. Or we can choose to ignore His whistle and pay the price for our disobedience. He has given us the choice. But with each choice we make, we are choosing the consequences to come. Choose this day how you will live. Choose life. Choose to live in His guidance, so we can have abounding pleasure.

Oswald Chambers, "...But if you will allow Him to take you to the end of your own self-sufficiency, then He can choose you to go with Him "to Jerusalem" (
Luke 18:31 ). And that will mean the fulfillment of purposes which He does not discuss with you....The only thing of value is being taken into the compelling purpose of God and being made His friends...As Christians we are not here for our own purpose at all— we are here for the purpose of God, and the two are not the same. We do not know what God’s compelling purpose is, but whatever happens, we must maintain our relationship with Him. We must never allow anything to damage our relationship with God, but if something does damage it, we must take the time to make it right again." Do you hear His whistle? Can you hear His calling? Are you choosing to obey Him today?

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/08/04/devotion.aspx?year=2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank u Jenny.. nice article