Thursday, August 6, 2009

I Am the LORD, and I Do Not Change

I have finally finished reading the Old Testament. I have loved seeing the prophesies that were spoken about my Lord, and the steps that led to my Saviors birth. I thoroughly enjoy reading and learning about the true love of God. Many may see God as being unjust and tough, but I see Him as being patient, kind, and Sovereign. Malachi, 3:6, "I am the LORD, and I do not change." He is the same yesterday and today. His laws are the same and His expectation of us is the same. We do not have to live according to all of the laws of the OT, for many were fulfilled by Christ. But, God is the same and He expects us to live with love for Him and His values.

Malachi, "A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. I am your Father and Master, but where are the honor and respect I deserve? ...You defile them by saying the alter of the LORD deserves no respect... Go ahead, beg God to be merciful to you! But when you bring that kind of offering, why should He show you any favor at all? Asks the LORD Almighty. ...you dishonor My name with your actions... You say, 'It is too hard to serve the LORD,' and you turn up your noses at His commands,' says the LORD Almighty. 'Think of it!' The purpose of My covenant with the Levites was to bring life and peace... You cry out, 'Why has the LORD abandoned us?' I'll tell you why! Because the LORD witnessed the vows you and your wife made to each other on your wedding day when you were young. But you have been disloyal to her, though she remained your faithful companion, the wife of your marriage vows. Didn't the LORD make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are His. And what does He want? Godly children from your union. So guard yourself; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. 'For I hate divorce!' Says the LORD Almighty. 'It is as cruel as putting on a victim's bloodstained coat,' says the LORD Almighty. 'So guard yourself; always remain loyal to your wife.' You have wearied the LORD with your words. 'Wearied Him?' you ask. 'How have we wearied Him?' You have wearied Him by suggesting that the LORD favors evildoers since He does not punish them. You have wearied Him by asking, 'Where is the God of justice?' ...I am the LORD, and I do not change... for you who fear My name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in His wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture."

Oh, how I love my God. How thankful I am to Him that He is so patient, for I have done all of these things and more. I shake my head and regret grieving my Lords heart, but how thankful I am to Him that He is so kind. I now leap for joy. I have been cleansed and I have found favor even though I deserved none. Thank You God, for waiting for me. Thank You, for paying the price that I owed. Thank You, for being patient with me still. Send Your Holy Spirit down upon us, so that He can convict our hearts and turn them to You. Put in us the desire to please You. When we sin, do not let us grieve because of the consequences we suffer here. Let us grieve because we have grieved Your heart and turned our eyes away from You.

"When you fall into sin, the smallest price you pay is only the wounding you bring to yourself-- You grieve the heart of God and embarrass the community of Christ." (RZ) Help us to remember this and to live to please You. Change my desires, every day. Help me to live today, a life that pleases You. Thank you, for changing me today. Thank you, for allowing me to dance with joy... Thank You for never changing, for being my constant, my steady Rock...

No comments: