Monday, August 25, 2008

His Time

Working for God is not supposed to be convenient. If it is convenient for you, then are you working for Him? 1 Cor 9:16ff, "...preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn't do it!" "Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ...So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." If you are a Christ follower, you have something more important than what is on "your" schedule for the day. You are to be working for Him. You are to be meeting with other believers, so that you are strengthened and so that you can strengthen them. 1 Cor 10:12,13 "If you think you are standing strong, be careful, for you, too, may fall into the same sin. But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it." How are we to see the way out if we are not surrounding ourselves with others who can help us to be strong? 1 Cor 10:23,24 "You say, "I am allowed to do anything"-but not everything is helpful. You say, "I am allowed to do anything"-but not everything is beneficial. Don't think only of your own good. Think of other Christians and what is best for them."

In this life there are many things that I would rather, not do. But I cannot go around only thinking about myself. We are here for only a short time. There is only one, today. We cannot waist our time. This is all that we are given and we have to work in helping others find Christ. There is work to do. For example, I get up every morning very early. I do this so that I can gain my strength from God before I am sent out into life. I, by myself, am a very hard woman. I have a rage within me that will fight, if I do not control it with Christ's help. It would be much easier for me not to go to functions that are created by the church, but what good am I, if I do not participate. I have surrounded my self with other believers, so that when I am tempted, they can help me regain my strength and conquer the temptation. I have tried living strong by myself, it does not work. When we are left by ourselves for too long, we tend to give into that temptation.

We tend to hide under the illusion that we are actually spending more time with our family and we cannot spare that hour. When in reality we are spending that time on the computer or watching TV. My family is not left out. I spend my time with my family. My children are part of my life. I talk to them and engage with them while I am with them. While I am working around the house I am engaged with them, playing with them. I play with my husband, every time I pass by him. I am engaged with my family. My family does not get left out. But I could very easily leave out the rest of His family, if I did not work at reaching out to them. This life is not about how I want to spend my time. It is about how He wants me to spend my time. And meeting with other believers is obviously high on His list of things that He wants me to do.

1 Cor 11:31, "If we examine ourselves, we will not be examined by God and judged in this way." We must live our lives with a purpose, we must walk everyday with Him in our hearts and on our minds. If we do not examine our lives every day then He will! 1 Cor 15:33,34, "bad company corrupts good character." Come to your senses and stop sinning. For to your shame I say that some of you don't even know God." We all have to be diligent. We must surround ourselves with others who will help us, so that we do not fall for what others, in the world, tell us. Even if you are not around any one but yourself all day, if you are not delinquently seeking out God and others, who will help you, you will lie to yourself. Get in charge of your life. Give your time to Him. He will bless you for it!

No comments: