Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mirror Memories

So many things go through my mind as I spend time with my Lord in the mornings. I am constantly drawn to who I used to be and who I am now. My memories are something that I cherish, for it is in those memories where love for others grows. It is in this time now where I can feel the true calling of my King. I have experienced the fullness of Christ and His redeeming power. I hear Him calling and I feel His love for me and for others. I can love those who are struggling and I can help those who need help. So this is what draws my attention this morning.

Luke 6, "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

My attention is drawn to another: Luke 7, "When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them... Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

I have heard those who read the first verse and say, "They cannot tell others what they are doing wrong for they, themselves, are sinners?" If this is true, then who can we help? Many do not need to try and help anyone else, for they themselves do not even have a glimpse of God's love, grace, or what He even expects of us. But if you have felt the redeeming power of His love. If you feel He is your teacher, then He is calling you to help others. For if you are really His student, then you have done everything in your power to remove the log from your own eye. You have knelt at His feet and praised His name. If you are wise, you will do this every day. My memories serve me well. They help me to remember, just how far I can fall. They help me to see myself for who I really am, a sinner. They allow me to approach another person with love and compassion, truthfully.

You do not have to walk through sin, as I did, to feel the love of Christ. You do not have to fall in the same way, but you do have to have love. You must have compassion and you cannot be blind to who you are. For if we are blind to ourselves, then how can we see Him? When we look in the mirror, that is when we can see Him. It is in looking in the mirror, that we can help others. When you see others, do you see their sin and think, "How stupid, don't you get it?" Or, do you see yourself and have compassion and love for them, for they are sinners as well? Are you in love with your Teacher? Are you a student of His? It is in being His student, we are called to hold a mirror. First, to ourselves. Then, to others so they can see as well.
http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/09/01/devotion.aspx?year=2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. It is encouraging.