Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Apple of His Eye



"Let my teaching fall on you like rain; let my speech settle like dew. Let my words fall like rain on tender grass, like gentle showers on young plants." (Deut 32)

This image, this is the one. You can smell the rain on the grass, refreshing and new. The air is damp. The colors are vibrant... Ahh, take a deep breath. Fill your lungs with the freshness of Spring. Now step into church. Do you still feel the same? Do you feel refreshed and clean? This is how I feel, now at this walk of my life, but there was a time when all I heard was how none of us were good and if we did not live by the "rules" we were going to burn and that is all we deserved anyway. No grass. No fresh smell of rain. A desert wasteland waiting for me to die, this was my view of church, of God, of myself. But this is not where we are going. It is time to return to the Truth. It is time to reclaim who He made us to be; the apple, the maiden, the little man of His eye.

I used to do things that went against everything within me. I lived on the beach. Lets just say, no mamma wanted their children to look my way. I hung out at the bars and celebrated songs about trashy women. But, the whole time, from within my heart cried out, "This is not who I am. I am really good. Why can't you see that? Can you see who I really am through the fog of my actions? Why don't I feel cherished?"

There is something within each one of us that cries out for others to see us differently. Why is this? Maybe it is the God voice calling for us to be who He created us to become. Maybe that cry within our heart, that so desperately wants others to see us more beautifully, is the true cry of who we really are, and yet, for some reason we have squashed that cry and become something different. We have chosen less for ourselves for the world's voice shouted louder and changed us outwardly. So now it is time to return to who He created us to become so that our hearts are refreshed, the colors can be brighter and growth can occur. He created us as the crowning jewel of His delight! We are the little maiden's, the little men in His eye. When I got close to God, close enough to see my reflection in His eye, I could better see myself. Not only who I was, but who He made me to become.

Our society has lied to us. It has tried to tell our men that they will never grow up. They will remain boys forever and they are like animals who cannot control their physical desires. Our women will have to do everything because they just cannot handle it. Our little girls have grown up to quickly, on the other hand. They have become sexualized, not little girls becoming women, but hookers working for free. Through all of these lies, within each one of us we can hear His voice calling us to become more and to overcome the lie, to remember we are the apple of His eye. It is not about following the "rules", but about knowing who you are to Him, knowing who others are to Him as well.

The Ten Commandments are not just a bunch of do's and don'ts. They are a statement of how precious everyone in this equation is. (Exodus 20) God is the one to recognize for who He is. I am sacred and worth more, so give me the respect I need. You and your things are sacred and worth more, so I'll give you the respect you deserve. We have our place and our roles and each one is needed and worthy.

My God, He is Big! My God is my protector, my bouncer. He is the Rock that is immovable and He watches me, not to condemn me, but to guard me from harm. He is my cover who cherishes me and wants me to be treated with respect, for I have worth and value. He is my husband and with Him, no one dares to disrespect me for I hold our relationship close. "I will proclaim the name of the Lord; how glorious is our God! He is the Rock; his deeds are perfect. Everything he does is just and fair. He is a faithful God who does no wrong; how just and upright he is! ...He found them in a desert land, in an empty, howling wasteland. He surrounded them and watched over them; he guarded them as the apple of His eye..."


Remember who He made you to become and never again settle for less!

No comments: