Friday, March 14, 2008

Does God like us? Does he love us?

I was asked this question the other day and was wanting some help with the answer. I would love some comments on this one so that we can find the truth in God's word. The person who made the statement "God doesn't like us but he loves us" was mainly speaking to people who had a hidden sin they walked with in life.

Question:
Someone told me that "God doesn't like us but He loves us." I didn't agree with that and I was trying to find God's truth in the matter. Let me know what you think. Revelation 3:19 "As many as I love...." That meaning for love in the Strong's meant "to be a friend; FOND OF; have affection for; to kiss (as a mark of tenderness)".Deut 7:13 "And He will love you...." That love meant in the Strong's "to have affection for (sexually or otherwise); love; LIKE; friend." So to me that means God really does like us, He just may not like our actions. We are His children, how can you not like your children? Even if the do bad things? What do you think. I don't want to believe this just so I can feel good. I want to know God's truth. Oh how I want to talk to Him face to face. I know I would not survive the matter, but I do.

Answer:
No, I do not think God likes people who are living in sin. He may love them, but like them, I really don't think so. In James 2:14ff it talks about faith with out actions, and that if your actions do not back up your faith then, you really do not have faith at all. Abraham was willing to do what ever God asked him to do. "His faith was made complete by what he did, by his actions." He was even called "the friend of God." I do think that being God's friend is a position earned. Not everyone gets to be the "friend of God." No, I do not think that the people who are secretly living in sin are liked by God. We have to live our lives so that what we do in private is the same as in public. We are truly never alone. We must remember that God is always watching and seeing everything that we do and knows our hearts. Our goal is to be like Jesus. John 18:20 "I have been heard by people everywhere, and I teach nothing in private that I have not said in public." In many cases, people's private lives do not reflect what they are teaching.

I believe that God loves all of us, he would not have been willing to sacrifice his son if he did not. I really do not think that he can like us if we are hiding a secret sin in our lives. We are choosing to turn from him, if we are choosing sin instead of God.

Please help me with this one. Comments welcome.

1 comment:

Uncle said...

There seems to be a hint of insecurity in the question. Does God like me in spite of my little quirks? Or does he see me and judge me in the same way others do? That annoying little lisp in my speech. The snort in my laugh. The blemish on my skin. The extra pound around my waist. Those things that seem to annoy some people. Does God like me in spite of these things? Of course, we know the answer. How could God not like and even enjoy that which he created? He definitely likes us just the way we are. And he loves us. Nothing can change either of these feelings he has toward us. He will discipline those he loves when they sin against him. But even in the discipline he loves us. (Dt 8:5; Prov 3:11-12; 1 Cor 11:32; Heb 12:11; Rev 3:14-20) However, the word "like" with regard to our sinful behavior seems more conditional upon the person rather than upon God. Of course he doesn't like us when we willfully choose to snub our noses at him and crucify Christ all over again. (Heb 6:6) Why would he like that? And why should he be expected to like us when we do something like that? Perhaps it's more of a dislike of our behavior, but we must remember that our behavior is a result of who we have chosen to be and what is in our heart. (Matt 12:34) Jesus' tone toward those who were opposing him certainly does not appear as though he is very fond of them. (Matt 23) He is quick to forgive and will not hold a grudge against us, but we should be careful not to handle or touch that which separates us from his glory. (Col 2:20-21)