Thursday, October 16, 2008

Live in the Light

Matthew 10:16-39, Jesus said to His disciples; "Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. Be as wary as snakes and harmless as doves...And you must stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. This will be your opportunity to tell them about me - yes, to witness to the world. Don't worry about what to say in your defense, because you will be given the right words at the right time. For it won't be you doing the talking - it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you...
For the time is coming when everything will be revealed; all that is secret will be made public. What I tell you now in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ears, shout from the housetops for all to hear!..
Not even a sparrow, worth only half a penny, can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it...So don't be afraid...
If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it."

Every time that I tell someone about my past mistakes and failures; I feel like I am being brought in front of the courts. It is not easy to share your mistakes with others. The first reaction that I have is to protect myself, but that is not what He has called me to do. He has called me to share with others so that they can know the love of Christ. He has called me to be a witness for Him, so that the world can know my Lord. "If anyone acknowledges Me publicly here on earth, I will openly acknowledge that person before My Father in heaven. But if anyone denies Me here on earth, I will deny that person before My Father in heaven." How many times have I denied Him? I have turned my back on the One who loves me the most: Not any more. I love Him more than I fear others judgement, and He has called me. He has called me to share His love with others; He wishes for all to be saved and none to parish.

Everything will eventually be brought to light anyway. I would much rather my darkest secrets to be brought to light by doing what God desires me to do, rather than Satan having a hold on me because of my secrets. I have found true freedom with my new life, in allowing Him to work good with what Satan intended for evil. Secrets are the most destructive tool that the enemy has on us. Secrets are those dark areas of our lives that will permeate and dim our light. We have a tendency to fear the light. Satan has deceived us and made us think that we actually have control of our lives as long as we can keep our sins under darkness. That is it; A lie. Only the light can set us free. Only in His true light can we see. If we continually hold on to that darkness we will never be able to truly make a difference. That darkness does not blind others; it blinds the one who is holding on to it.

If I had never told anyone about my past life, people would still see me the same that they see me now. I would be the one living in the darkness, scared that someone might find out about my past and expose me. I would not be able to fully give my life over to Christ, because I would be holding on too tightly to that dark sin. But since I allowed Christ to uncover what I had covered; since I chose to live in the light with no dark shadows hanging over me, I am free. I live in the light! This does not mean it is easy, it never is. But there is a freedom that I live under and that freedom is Christ. He will help me when Satan comes and attacks me. He will give me the words that I need in order to protect myself. This is my opportunity to tell others about Him - yes, to witness to the world.

"If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it."

No comments: