Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Worry

Matthew 6:25ff, Jesus said, "So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life...can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not...You have so little faith!...Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."

Here are seven reasons not to worry (as listed in my bible).
6:25......The same God who created life in you can be trusted with the details of your life.
6:26......Worrying about the future hampers your efforts for today.
6:27......Worrying is more harmful than helpful.
6:26-30..God does not ignore those who depend on Him.
6:31,32..Worrying shows a lack of faith in and understanding of God.
6:33......Worrying Keeps us from real challenges God wants us to pursue.
6:34......Living one day at a time keeps us from being consumed with worry.

Let me tell you, at times it is very hard not to get caught up with worry. Having a major illness, I know. When you or someone you love has health issues, it is very hard to think about anything else. This is the one area that we truly have no control over. This is the one place that we try and find the answers ourselves. Now it does not mean that we live our life as though nothing was happening and that we are to just lay back and take what ever comes our way. But we do not need to worry; there is a difference. "Worry immobilizes, but concern moves you to action." Worrying will only make things worse. In worrying we tend to; "(1) damage your health more, (2) disrupt your productivity, (3) negatively affect the way you treat others, and (4) reduce your ability to trust in God."

There is so much information out there about how we can help ourselves in feeling better; The newest drug: The best pill: The best doctors: The only diet. I think it is very good to get the information that you need in order to help you make a decision, but information is all that it is. If you are doing the best that you can, then you need not worry. You let your concern help you seek out the answer God is moving you toward, but if you are worrying you will not be able to relax once you find that answer. You will not be able to say that you trust in God and that you know He will take care of you.

I have to rely on God to get me through each and every day. I know what it is like to wake up and not to be able to walk down the hall. I know what it is like to loose all control of my bladder. I won't lie, I can get discouraged, but that is mainly in myself because I was not doing what I know God has already told me to do. It is not that I get upset with God, but I get upset with myself. I know what I need to do in order to function and when I have not been doing my part and I get sick; then I turn to God and ask Him to fix my mess, that I have made, once again.

I also have to remember that just because I am doing my part it does not guarantee me health. I am here for God to use me. I am here for God's Glory to be shown. Sometimes the only way others can find God, is through our pain. If my suffering will save someone else from their own destruction and help them find the love of God: then so be it. What I have to do is to remember that it is not about life right now. It is about eternity. God is Sovereign, He is in control of everything. My life, my health, my family; they are all for Him. If He needs to use us for others to find Him, then that is His choice. He is calling me to love and obey Him no matter what my circumstances are. "Spiritual vision is our capacity to see clearly what God wants us to do and to see the world from His point of view." It is not about me. This is something that I have to remind myself of everyday. It is not about me; it is not about life right now, so what is the use in worrying. He is in control and I am glad of that.

" 'Make the Kingdom of God your primary concern', means to put God first in your life, to fill your thoughts with His desires, to take His character for your pattern, and to serve and obey Him in everything." His Kingdom is what this life is about.

No comments: