Saturday, October 11, 2008

Salt of the Earth

This morning as I sat and read, I was overwhelmed with the magnitude of feelings that I have. I feel this intense pressure and urgency to get His word out to people, but there is just so much. I sat crying and asking my God to help me; begging Him to ease the burden and to do this work for me. If anyone knows my limits, it is me. I cannot do this; I am a failure; I have done everything wrong; every path that I have chosen; every path that I have lead, was the wrong one. I sit crying and begging Him to help me in this, because I cannot do it.

I am so thankful that He speaks to me. I can hear His voice coming to me like a soft whisper. He told me, "You are not the one doing anything. I am guiding you and you do not have to fear. You are young and this is your learning time. This is your time to learn how to listen to Me and follow my guiding. You are doing what I ask of you and you do not have to fear failure, because I am the one that will catch you." Oh my goodness, how grateful I am. His voice calms me. All that I can do is to take the next step; to listen and try and follow His voice. As long as it is not me, I can do this. Okay, now that I have gotten that out, I can share some of what I was reading

Matthew 5:13-16, Jesus said, "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot as worthless."

This verse used to confuse me. I did not understand how salt could loose its saltiness. Focus on the Family put out a series called "Follow the Rabbi." In this he explains how the salt losses is saltiness. Salt has many different uses. One of those uses is to make a fire hotter. People would burn manure and in order to make the fire hotter, they would place salt on the fire. After the fire would go out, they would collect the salt and use it again. After several uses the chemical reaction of the salt was no longer there. The salt was useless, they would then throw it out and start with new salt.

In this context, we are the salt. We are supposed to be mixing with everyone, even those that may make us uncomfortable; those that many think of, as the manure of society. We are supposed to be making the fire of God burn hotter. We are supposed to have such a chemical reaction of love in our hearts that God can burn and the flames of His love can reach everyone. Let me tell you, God is calling everyone to Him. We are supposed to be mixing with them, so that we can stir up His flame and make His flame hot within them. Those that appear lost; God is calling. Those that you think are never going to turn their lives around; God is calling. We are not to be the judge and condemn them. We are to love everyone. We are to burn hot for God, so that all can feel His love. If we give into the thought that someone is never going to change, then we are judging them and sentencing them to eternity.

So this is the question that we must ask ourselves: Is the love of God burning so hot within me, that everyone can feel Him and be warmed by His love, just because they were in my presence. Are you on fire for your Lord? Are you overwhelmed with Him? Do you see the urgency, if you are not? Read the verse again; the words of Jesus. What does He say will happen to you, if you are not burning hot for Him?

No comments: