Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Helping Others

How do we help others who are struggling with a sin that we have struggled with? How many times have I asked myself this question? A young mother asked me this question just the other day. She is raising her children on her own. She has been an addict, and her heart wants to help others who are struggling with drugs. It is not as simple and clear cut as it may seem. There is only one answer: Get clean yourself, in every area. Stop doing drugs, period, stop drinking, stop falling for sexual temptations. These are the big ones.

I have been clean now for almost 8 years. I am just now strong, but here is the catch. I am not strong in myself. God is the one who has made me strong. They say that it is a struggle every day for the rest of your life, once you have been addicted to something. I do not necessarily think that this is true. My strength comes from God. I have built a relationship with my Father, so there is no struggle, as long as I stay close to Him. He gives me strength to control my flesh. I lean on Him. I get up every morning and give Him my "first" in my day. I gain strength from Him. This is how you help other people. Draw close to God. Breath Him. Sleep with Him. Awake with Him. Listen to His word. Listen to Him!!

Every one wants to see someone willing to give them an example, words mean nothing. Your life is the pathway for others freedom. Live your life for God, and He will place everything else in its proper position at the proper time. Gain strength from God, so that cleaning up your life does not seem impossible. All people who have struggled with a sin, want to help others they see struggling, with the same sin. It hurts to see someone hurting and when you have felt the pain that they are going through, you want to save them. You are not their savior. I have had to learn this the hard way. You will fail them. We are sinners. This is a title reserved for Jesus Christ, you are to be an example. Live your life for your Lord. You can not live your life for others. You must live your life for God. You must build a relationship with your Father, first.

God has placed people in every one's life to help them. Build your relationship with strong people. Stop hanging out with people who are struggling with the same things you are struggling with. Even if it means you drop family members, and close friends; if they are not helping you, get new friends. God has placed a whole community of people who are ready to help you, if you are really wanting help. You must first die to yourself. Death never feels good, but the resurrection of new life is totally awesome.

"Young mother,
I know what you are struggling with. I am so proud of you!! You have put yourself through school. You desire to give your children a new life. Your heart is there. You now need to turn your life over to your God. Find out who He is, then you can see who you need to be. You cannot stop having sex, by hanging out with other women who only talk about men. You cannot stop doing drugs, by hanging out with people who do drugs. You cannot stop drinking, by hanging out with people who drink. God is knocking at your door, let Him in. This can be a time of loneliness. I know, I went through this time. I had to find out what I really wanted, so every one was taken away from me. I had not one friend. God became my friend during this time. I had to lean on Him. I had to develop a relationship with Him. Now, I have a whole town that I can call my friends. But it took a time of loneliness, so that I could learn who God was and who He wanted me to become. Lean on Him so that all you can do is breath, talk, and sing His praises. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind and with all your strength. The rest will be given unto you."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for always telling me things in truth and love.