Monday, February 15, 2010

All Your Heart, Soul, Strength

Deuteronomy 6:5, “Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly.."

Have you ever watched someone who absolutely loves sports, hunting, cooking; you know that person that has a passion for it? Have you noticed, they can tell you everything about their love. The sports fanatic can tell you every player, what that player has achieved, where that player is going. The hunter knows every gun, and the different grains of ammunition. The cook, well everyone loves to eat their food, because they know just the right ingredients to add that sends everyone away wanting more, but full to the brim. We know when someone is in love. We know when they are a fan, and whose team they are rooting for. Loving to do things that refresh us is good. It is good to give our stresses and cares a break, but their is a key. There is a command that God has given us. Do we hear Him?

How much time do we really spend falling in love with Him? Did we fall asleep last night with Christ singing us a lullaby? Did we wake this morning with Him calling us to come and spend some time with Him? During the day today will we give Him a second thought? Does He really affect our daily living? These are questions that each of us have to answer, but when we answer them, we need to make sure we are seeing our love walk through His eyes. Are other people who come in contact with me today, are they going to be able to feel Christ's love through me? Are my children?

Yesterday was Valentines Day. Jason and I did nothing special for each other. He got me no flowers. I didn't get him a card. But, it was a wonderful day, being in love with each other. Our love walk is a daily thing, so we do not need a special day, once a year. It is every day. If he did not show me his love every day, then those days set aside would crush me if he did not go all out. It would become about me and I would say, "Cant you even take one day and show me that you love me." I would expect the flowers and the dinner out, but yesterday I got nothing out of the ordinary and I didn't care. Actually he doesn't even tell me that he loves me, but maybe twice a year. He shows me that he loves me, every day. He is my biggest fan and I am his.

God wants us to be His biggest fan. It is all about showing Him to others. Are we, daily?
Oswald Chambers, "'You shall be witnesses to Me...' ( Acts 1:8 ). How many of us are willing to spend every bit of our nervous, mental, moral, and spiritual energy for Jesus Christ? That is what God means when He uses the word witness. But it takes time, so be patient with yourself. Why has God left us on the earth? Is it simply to be saved and sanctified? No, it is to be at work in service to Him. Am I willing to be broken bread and poured-out wine for Him? Am I willing to be of no value to this age or this life except for one purpose and one alone— to be used to disciple men and women to the Lord Jesus Christ. My life of service to God is the way I say 'thank you' to Him for His inexpressibly wonderful salvation. Remember, it is quite possible for God to set any of us aside if we refuse to be of service to Him— '... lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified' ( 1 Corinthians 9:27 )."

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/02/15/devotion.aspx?year=2010

No comments: