Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Being a Fool

Proverbs 14:12, "There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death." Of all of the ideas that I have had, there has been one that truly haunts my dreams. If you have surrounded yourself with fools, or if you have isolated yourself where you have no one else to help you with your decisions, then you are setting yourself up for failure. The lowest points in my life have been the times when I have chosen my own destruction, thinking I had come up with a good decision. What a fool we can be, while we are thinking we are so cleaver. So yes, I will share with you the greatest mistake of my life.

My ex husband and I had isolated ourselves. We had chosen to ignore any kind of warning from any of our friends, and we moved away. When we did this, we were left to our own stupidity. Remember that all people think they are wise in their own eyes, for if we thought we were really making a big mistake, we wouldn't do it. So there we were, traveling down the dark path of sexual temptation and physical desires. It came to the point in our life that my ex husband wanted to watch me with another man. The whole reason that I had gotten married was so that I would not have any other sexual partners. So, this was my bright idea. I decided that I could be a stripper. It sounded like a reasonable solution to the problem that faced me. He could watch, I wouldn't have to sleep with anyone, and I would get paid. Now in seeing my choice, you say, "how stupid you were." You are right, I was very stupid in my choice, but to me at the time, it seemed like a very reasonable solution to my problem.

Proverbs 10:21, "The godly give good advice, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense." I have shared with you my greatest failure. I have let you see how foolish I was, but that I thought I had made a good decision. I did this to open your eyes to the wisdom of foolish mistakes. We all think we are wise in our own eyes. What is it in your life that you thought you were making a wise choice and it turned into one of the biggest mistakes of your life? If you are seeking the ultimate pleasure; if you are trying to experience all this world can offer; you may be headed down a road that will lead you to utter ruin. What do the wise ones say about others who have made this decision before you? If you are wise you will look at the consequences that others have suffered, learn from them, and choose a different path.

Matthew 11:19, Jesus said, "wisdom is shown to be right by what results from it." A truly wise person will learn from the mistakes of others. A wise person will learn from their own mistakes and not repeat them. Even Solomon in all of his wisdom, ruined his own life because he did not have anyone telling him, he was making a mistake. If you wish to ruin your life, choose to do things "your" way. If you wish to have a life full of joy and less mistakes, surround yourself with others who will tell you the truth. Before you make that choice, pause long enough to consider the consequences that could come afterwards. Proverbs 19:3, "People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the LORD." What have you chosen, that you try and blame someone else for the consequences that came later?

No comments: