Friday, June 19, 2009

Over and Over Again

Isaiah 28, "They say, 'Who does the LORD think we are? Why does He speak to us like this? Are we little children, barely old enough to talk? He tells us everything over and over again, a line at a time, in very simple words!' Since they refuse to listen, ...God's people could have rest in their own land if they would only obey Him, but they will not listen. So the LORD will spell out His message for them again, repeating it over and over, a line at a time, in very simple words..."

As a parent, I can get very tired of telling my boys the same thing over and over again. They will do something, they know they are not supposed to do, then look at me with shock in their eyes, after they are caught. My oldest son will say to me, "Mom you told me that already." Then turn right around and do exactly what I had told him not to do. Then, like I am a fool, he says right back to me, "but I didn't know." He is just about to turn 6 years old, he has an excuse. So what is my excuse, when I do the exact same thing to God?

Just yesterday, I was in an awful mood. I felt angry and irritated with everyone and everything. I could hear God speaking to me, through the exact words that I had told to others. "You are the one in control of your emotions. You are going to ruin everyone's day, just because you are being selfish." How I hate this. I wanted to run with my feelings. I wanted to let them go and pitch the fit that I wanted to pitch. So in my stupidity, I bulled through and felt the way that I wanted to feel. But because I am constantly listening to Christian speakers, He gave me a good whipping. I was forced to cheer up and have a good day after all.

Why do we so often, want to be miserable? Why would we choose to live in anger? We are in control of our emotions, but we feel we have the right to wallow in selfishness. What! Why do we do this? Why can't we just be told, one time, then do it. We are really not that wise. In our search for being so right, we are shown to be fools. Have you ever had one of those days? What in your life has God told you to change, but you insist on having it "your" way. Have you discovered that your way never works, and never brings you the fulfillment that you thought you were going to have. vs 16, "Look I am placing a foundation stone in Jerusalem. It is firm, a tested and precious cornerstone that is safe to build on. Whoever believes need never run away again." Have you found the life and joy that He brings? Do you turn to Him so that He can show you why you are miserable? Do you listen to Him and change what you are doing, so that you can have life? Why do we continually choose to suffer, when we have been freely given life? Today, please God, help me to choose life!

No comments: