Saturday, June 13, 2009

Meningful Life

Ecc. 11-12, "Young people, it’s wonderful to be young! Enjoy every minute of it. Do everything you want to do; take it all in. But remember that you must give an account to God for everything you do. So refuse to worry, and keep your body healthy. But remember that youth, with a whole life before you, is meaningless.Don’t let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, 'Life is not pleasant anymore.'" Ecc 7:1-4, "A good reputation is more valuable than costly perfume. And the day you die is better than the day you are born...A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time."

Over the past few years, I have been to many funerals. I have given my funeral lots of thought. "What do I want others to say about me? Will I have many people there remembering my life and how I influenced them? How will I be remembered?" I would hate for others to say that I was a fun woman and they had a great time laughing with me, but that is it. My desire is that whomever enters my life can say that their life changed and was better because of me. I want my life to have an impact on others for the better. My desire is that others are better because I was a positive influence and in turn they go out and have the same influence on others that I had on them.

Honestly, have you given your funeral any thought? If you are young, I can almost guarantee that you have not. But if you are a little older, have you? It is good to enjoy this life. It is good to have as many experiences as you can. It is wise to think about how your life influences others around you. Is it going to matter to anyone that you were ever here? We all want our life to matter. We all want to have meaning in our life and purpose. Trust me, you do. What you must ask yourself; what I must ask myself, is "what kind of influence have I made?" Ecclesiastes is a book about meaning and the meaninglessness of life. If we do not think about what our life means and the impact that we have on others, then our life is truly meaningless. What matters is that through our life, others find God, the one who makes our life meaningful. Have you found the meaning in life? Have you found the true joy that only He can bring? To you who are young, are you making your life count? If you were taken away from us now, has your life mattered? There is a reason you are here...Have you found it?

No comments: