Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hindrance or Ally

Proverbs 31, "A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls. The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil. She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her...She rises while it is yet night and gets [spiritual] food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks...She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] and makes her arms strong and firm...Her husband is known in the [city's] gates, when he sits among the elders of the land...Strength and dignity are her clothing and her position is strong and secure; she rejoices over the future [the latter day or time to come, knowing that she and her family are in readiness for it]! She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction]. She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat. Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying], Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all. Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised! Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates [of the city]!" (Amplified Bible)

Oh, how I want to be this woman. I want so desperately to be the virtuous woman of character and value. I have lived with a reputation that was bad, and because of my husband I have walked into a reputation that was good. How I would hate to tarnish his reputation. How easily I could. I have discovered, it is very easy to ruin a good reputation. It takes many years to build a good reputation, but in one short time of not caring, that reputation could be destroyed (or at least, weakened). I am relating to my husband, but how often do we think this way about Jesus and the reputation that He gave us?

We are all the bride of Christ. We look at this verse and see the roles of a good wife, but do we apply this verse to our marriage with Christ. It does not matter if you are a man or a woman, in your heavenly marriage with Christ, this applies to both. Where ever we go what ever we are doing, we are a reflection of the one who gave us His name. When I moved here my name had been ruined. I had totally destroyed my reputation and others saw me as the adulterous woman. As soon as I married Jason, my named changed and I took on his reputation. Now when I go out into public, I am carrying his reputation with me. It is in my power to preserve the reputation that he has worked so hard to obtain; it is in my power to destroy his reputation with how I act. It is the same with all of us who call ourselves Christians. We have placed His name upon us, and it is His name that gets damaged by how we conduct ourselves. This is why His reputation is in danger, because of how His name has been wronged by how we portray Him to others. Are you being a good representation for your LORD?

No comments: